Sign in to follow this  
Jdubbs07

Draw Report Question

So I have done hours of research in the last few years about the draw itself, the odds, bonus points and the whole bit. However this year I pose a question I can't seem to find the answer for. It may be possible that I might not find it but this is worth a shot. I know each draw for each genus allocates 20% of its tags to the bonus pass round and to Non-Residents (NR). 10% goes to bonus pass holders and the other 10% to NR. I have unitized in the past the bonus point report the g&f puts out relaying information that shows how many people in each hunt number put in and also how many bonus points of each individual that put in. However I would like to find (if possible) a way to see how many NR put in and their bonus point totals. If you are unfamiliar with this report I will post a link with this report below.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/bonus/5-2014/2014%20Pronghorn%20and%20Elk%20-%20Bonus%20Point%20Report%20-%20Bonus%20Pass%20by%20Hunt%20Number.pdf

The reason I ask is because this year my brother has moved out of state and will now be considered a NR. We put in for the same hunt every year. This isn't a premier unit, however I'm curious to know that if I decide to still split the app with him this year if it could help or hinder me in the draw. For example, I know that if in the second phase of the draw (after the bonus pass round) when they look at our application and there are still enough tags left to fill for our first choice, and the 10% cap for NR has already been met, then it's tough luck for me and they won't give us tags because I would have a NR on my app and they won't allow exceeding the 10% NR cap. (I discussed with a g&f rep). However I can see this going two ways, yes this is a September archery bull hunt, but it is not a premier unit, and it could be possible that if when our app is looked at and the 10% cap for NR has not been met for this hunt number, then I will be lucky because having the NR on my app gives me a tag also. (I also discussed this with a g&f rep) so these are not made up scenarios. I could either get lucky and have the advantage and draw a tag when the NR on my app does, or get screwed and kicked out until the 3 phase of the draw even if there are permits left for my choice because I have a NR on my app and the 10% cap has already been met.

If there were a report showing how many NR put in and thier total number of bonus points I would be able to see if it would be advantageous to keep my non resident brother on my app or opt to go solo and have better odds not having him on my app. The hard part is he is my brother and we always put in together because we always want to hunt together. We have the same amount of bonus points so nothing hurts us there.

Anyways if anyone knows of a report of such information and or can give some advice or experience on this topic it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Your understanding of the draw is only partially correct. The 20% of tags allocated to the bonus pass are not divided 10% to "bonus pass holders" and 10% to NR. The full 20% of tags are awarded t I the individuals with the most BP and no more than 10% of tags may be awarded to NR. Meaning if a hunt had 100 permits, the first 20 are awarded to those with the most BP regardless of residency. If fewer than 10 were awarded to NR (let's say 7 in our example) in that round, then when tags were awarded via the 1-2 pass, up to 3 more NR could receive tags from that process if their random number was selected.

The short answer is that yes, having a NR on your app will make it more difficult to draw a tag. However which hunt you are applying for will determine how much your odds are reduced. Game and fish does not offer a report with this information on their website, so a public information request would need to be submitted in order to get it.

I hope this helps. Good job on doing all the research, not many do, and it can make a world of difference on how and when you receive tags.

• Like 1

nice ive been looking for this report! the last one i looked at from azgfd last year was all crooked like a terrible scan. i couldn't do crap with it to OCR into a useable dataset

The new draw report will break out the info you are asking. In essence, it will be the Bonus Pass report we currently see, with resident/non resident split out so we can see how many drew in each point pool.

The dept does have a Bonus Pass report that splits resident and NR, how many drew, by choice, by hunt number, ( but NOT by point total ) that requires a public info request as stated above. It's relevance is to determine how many NR tags dropped to the 1-2 Pass round. Units 1, 3a, 5a, 7's, 8, 9, 10, 23, and 27 all filled in the early archery Bonus Pass in the 2014 draw.

If you are applying to a different hunt, pm me the hunt number and I'll pass along the number of NR tags that could be drawn in the 1-2 Pass. Huntin Fool also gets this report and passes the info to it's readers if you have access to the publication. Be mindful that the data is for 2014 and that the 2015 applicant numbers may not mirror 2014.

• Like 3