Sign in to follow this  
sladegb

Need Advice for bowhunting unit 27 for Coes in January

Need help for upcoming coues deer hunt with bow.v I have been doing some fact gathering for an upcoming archery coues deer hunt in unit 27. My brother and i both have a tag and plan on starting Jan 2nd. We plan to roll light with enough to be away from truck for 3-4 days . I have spoken with a couple people regarding starting places. We plan on spending time in both wilderness areas inside the coronado. Any advice would be appreciated such as

1. what tactics in january would you use, water hole, spot/stalk/ travel corridors , etc

2. where would you hunt?

3. other than the coronado , can the BLM land north of coronado be hunted? the black mountains, etc?

4. any tactics , grunting / rattling to take advantage of rut?

5. any advice on the illegal situation in that area, dangers, do/donts?

thanks for any input , its our first run down to this area. thanks in advance for any help.

Unit 27 is in the Apache National Forest, not the Coronado. Highly doubtful you will find any illegal activity in 27. It's not the travel corridor for the coyotes.

Unless you are talking about New Mexico.

Last time I did that hunt... The propane froze solid and we couldn't use the stoves, lanterns or heaters... -17 one morning.

I was in unit one the last couple of days,right next to AZ 27. The temp was 9 with a twenty mph wind, good luck.

Would love to hear how your hunt goes after hunting the coronado in unit 27!lol. Bahahahahah! And there is tons of illegal activity all over unit 27 lol bahahahaha! Think u got the wrong unit get back to us lol!

yes talking about unit 27 in New Mexico. There is the coronado section and then BLM ground. So outside of dress warm is there any insight for this hunt. dates are jan1-15th with a bow. thanks and happy new year.

Answered your PM tonight--sorry for the delay in responding. It's the holidays. :D

• Like 1