Christian2

Elk units for 2015

Hi, I was just wondering what you all plan on putting in for elk as far as archery units? I have 3 bonus points and was curious on what units you think I have the best chance to draw an archery bull or cow tag in. Thanks in advance to everyone.

Depends on how hard you want to hunt. Several units you can draw a late season archery bull tag with. Low success rates but it can be done. I would spend the 20 bucks and get a subscription to hunters trailhead. Give the odds and success rates

I plan on early archery hunting in September. Ok sweet I will check it out. Thanks for the advice

Most places don't give you "true" odds for AZ.... they just take the total number of apps for 1st and 2nd choices and divide by permits given. This is without regard to how many points you have. It does give you an idea of the harder to draw units though.

Unit 8 and unit 11m archery antlerless elk you would have between a 35% to 50% chance of drawing these tags with 3 points. Pretty good odds! 1 in 2 and or 1 in 3.

Christian - Somewhere I gave you some advice last year, I don't know if it was via PM or post in the draw odds thread. It's still valid if your expectations remain what they were a year ago. If there is more info you are looking for, let me know.

• Like 1

Christian - Somewhere I gave you some advice last year, I don't know if it was via PM or post in the draw odds thread. It's still valid if your expectations remain what they were a year ago. If there is more info you are looking for, let me know.

Sent you a pm

I wish the G&F would disclose the number of bonus points each successful tag had. You'd see with 3 points....you always have a great chance at a bull tag with a bow!

I wish the G&F would disclose the number of bonus points each successful tag had. You'd see with 3 points....you always have a great chance at a bull tag with a bow!

They do. And, you don't.

Flatlander,

I have been following your posts and they have been, and are, very helpful in understanding this system. However, I am a little vague on the difference between the random draw, and the 1-2 pass. They almost seem like the same thing.

Thanks.

forepaw

Flatlander,

I have been following your posts and they have been, and are, very helpful in understanding this system. However, I am a little vague on the difference between the random draw, and the 1-2 pass. They almost seem like the same thing.

Thanks.

forepaw

The 1-2 pass is the first step in the random draw, so you are correct in your assumption. Here is a link to the explanation of the draw process http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BigGameDrawingProcess.shtml

Hopefully this helps straighten things out for you.