samuel2891

37a help for good places to start.

Does anyone have any places to start for javes in 37a not looking for a honey hole. Just pointers for pigs out there.

I would check out the SE foothills of Picacho Peak.

You can also try going west on Manville rd, it'll turn to dirt and if you keep working west you'll hit some pretty good hills/mountains. Not sure what mountain range it is, but there are some pigs back there.

• Like 1

everyone says not looking for a honey hole. why not ask for the honey hole too, the best hunting is there?

West Silver Bell Mountains: This area has received a lot of hunting pressure the past several years and javelina numbers have declined. The area is also prone to smuggling and has very poor to no cell phone reception.
Access is from Sasco Road, Silver Bell Road, Avra Valley Road, and the road named “11 Mile Corner.”
Roskruge Mountains: This range has good javelina populations and lower numbers of hunters compared to other areas. Be sure to check maps before hunting to avoid crossing into the Tohono O'Odham Indian Reservation which runs through the center of the mountains from east to west and makes the western boundary of Unit 37A. The area is also prone to smuggling and has very poor to no cell phone reception.

Access is from Highway 86 near the town of Three Points on the south end, from Sandario Road from the east, and the Arva road from the north. Hunt the broken and rolling hills throughout this area. In the flats hunt along the washes. There is an extensive network of roads throughout this area so remember to restrict vehicle travel to roads.

The Picacho Mountains: This area currently has the largest herds and the greatest number of javelina herds in the unit. Hunting will be good anywhere around the bottom of Newman Peak in the lower foothills. There are 6 wildlife water catchments distributed around the base of Newman Peak and every catchment receives a lot of javelina use.

Access is from Deep Well Ranch Road, Houser Road, and Pecan Road. The railroad crossing is blocked about 3 miles north of the Picacho Dairy Queen along the I-10 frontage road. Access is somewhat restricted by the C.A.P. canal along the west and south side of Newman Peak. Hunters are allowed to walk through the culverts and over the bridge crossings to hunt the east and north sides of the CAP canal.

Coolidge has good populations of javelina around some of the agriculture fields. Remember to respect landowner rights and ask permission before entering private property.

The Tortolita Mountains, Owl Head Buttes, Durham Hills, and Suizo Hills have good densities of javelina throughout. The Tortolita Mountain and Owl Head Buttes receives the greatest number of hunters in the unit. The Tortolitas and Owl Head Buttes can be reached from dirt roads heading east from the I-10 frontage road (exit at Marana), from an access point at the county line on Highway 79 in Catalina or from Park Link Drive. The Durham Mountain, and Suizo Hills have lots of javelina with fewer hunters and can be reached from Park Link Drive off of Florence Highway (79), and dirt roads heading west from Highway 79.

everyone says not looking for a honey hole. why not ask for the honey hole too, the best hunting is there?

West Silver Bell Mountains: This area has received a lot of hunting pressure the past several years and javelina numbers have declined. The area is also prone to smuggling and has very poor to no cell phone reception.

Access is from Sasco Road, Silver Bell Road, Avra Valley Road, and the road named “11 Mile Corner.”

Roskruge Mountains: This range has good javelina populations and lower numbers of hunters compared to other areas. Be sure to check maps before hunting to avoid crossing into the Tohono O'Odham Indian Reservation which runs through the center of the mountains from east to west and makes the western boundary of Unit 37A. The area is also prone to smuggling and has very poor to no cell phone reception.

Access is from Highway 86 near the town of Three Points on the south end, from Sandario Road from the east, and the Arva road from the north. Hunt the broken and rolling hills throughout this area. In the flats hunt along the washes. There is an extensive network of roads throughout this area so remember to restrict vehicle travel to roads.

The Picacho Mountains: This area currently has the largest herds and the greatest number of javelina herds in the unit. Hunting will be good anywhere around the bottom of Newman Peak in the lower foothills. There are 6 wildlife water catchments distributed around the base of Newman Peak and every catchment receives a lot of javelina use.

Access is from Deep Well Ranch Road, Houser Road, and Pecan Road. The railroad crossing is blocked about 3 miles north of the Picacho Dairy Queen along the I-10 frontage road. Access is somewhat restricted by the C.A.P. canal along the west and south side of Newman Peak. Hunters are allowed to walk through the culverts and over the bridge crossings to hunt the east and north sides of the CAP canal. Coolidge has good populations of javelina around some of the agriculture fields. Remember to respect landowner rights and ask permission before entering private property.The Tortolita Mountains, Owl Head Buttes, Durham Hills, and Suizo Hills have good densities of javelina throughout. The Tortolita Mountain and Owl Head Buttes receives the greatest number of hunters in the unit. The Tortolitas and Owl Head Buttes can be reached from dirt roads heading east from the I-10 frontage road (exit at Marana), from an access point at the county line on Highway 79 in Catalina or from Park Link Drive. The Durham Mountain, and Suizo Hills have lots of javelina with fewer hunters and can be reached from Park Link Drive off of Florence Highway (79), and dirt roads heading west from Highway 79.

That's some good info! You know anything about 18b or the 17s?:-)
  • Like 1

+1 for using the Game and Fish "tips" for honey holes. That is always a great first step!

I got a good question do u kbow when az game and fish updated there reviews bout javis in that unit on there website cuz I read that a couple of years back. I want to hear the hunter thoughts bout a god starting point for that unit. Not an old post from the website.

I got a good question do u kbow when az game and fish updated there reviews bout javis in that unit on there website cuz I read that a couple of years back. I want to hear the hunter thoughts bout a god starting point for that unit. Not an old post from the website.

you just got a whole bunch of starting spots. they dont need to update since those spots are still there, and still good just like they were 15 years ago.

I am all about helping a fellow hunter out, but this is starting to be a giant piece of Bull$%!&. If you want to hunt then go hunt stop asking for direction all the time..... you want somewhere to start, start your truck and go scout !!!!! Good Lord.

Im done !

• Like 3

people have honey holes because they don't post where they are on public forums. if someone told you where pigs were, they would not be there after about 2 weeks. pigs are easy to find. start in the areas listed on the G&F website, look for water, find a tank with pig tracks and start hunting there. everyone on this site looking for info on where the animals also has very minimal posts. try becoming an active member of the site for a while, then ask for help. you might be amazed at the reults. until then, follow advice. get out there in the unit, and put your boots to the gorund. it is hard to bag an animal from your computer desk

• Like 3

A good method is to drive/walk washes looking for tracks crossing the wash (especially after a good rain). Follow them into the desert, which usually lead to feeding/bedding areas. Once you find an area with good sign, find a high point and glass.

• Like 1

A good method is to drive/walk washes looking for tracks crossing the wash (especially after a good rain). Follow them into the desert, which usually lead to feeding/bedding areas. Once you find an area with good sign, find a high point and glass.

Exactly how I've been targeting new Javelina country. To everyone though, please!!!!! Do more walking washes than driving them. You can't really pick apart tracks and what's going on a 20mph from a razor or jeep. I have a very capable tacoma, but I don't drive washes. I walk them. For that matter I walk everything. A lot of people would rediscover the joy of being outdoors if they would get out of a vehicle or off their dang fourwheeler and break their boots in.

I've found those fish and game starting points to be more than helpful for finding areas. I don't kill much, but I will. Finding places on your own is part of the fun. I'll ask for a tip or two and surely won't turn info down, but don't expect anyone to take me to their honey hole.

• Like 1

This was my first year hunting Javelina. (Anything for that matter) My friends and I did a lot of hiking through 37a before hand. We checked sign and put up cameras. We went out at least 4 times before the actual hunt. We got out and set up camp before the hunt and went out, hiked, and glassed a lot. Day two I got over heated found a spot that had a lot of sign and parked it while my buddies trucked on. As I was sitting in the shade rehydration and cooling down a pig just walked out in front of me. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera or anything to take pics. Anyway I guess my point is that it took a lot of prep and a little bit of luck.