Sign in to follow this  
Kaffer62

Dad's 2014 Coues

My dad is having a great year. After our late rifle bull tag, we looked forward to our late rifle tags. The hunt came pretty quick and we had high hopes. The hunt started out slow. The only rutting action we had seen were two spikes who thought they were king of the mountain. We were glassing up bucks every day, but nothing what we were looking for. Even though my dad would have been happy to shoot one of those smaller bucks, I continued to talk him out of it. I finally glassed up a big buck about a mile away and we took off after it. Unfortunately I was planning on sneaking up the backside of the adjacent canyon to get close enough for a shot. The buck didn't go the way I planned and instead walked directly towards us. We almost crested the ridge at the same spot. I tried to follow him into the next canyon but unfortunately I never saw him again. We had several encounters like this, with pretty much the same outcome. Finally on our last day, I glassed up a buck a long ways off. He looked good from what I could see. We circled around and positioned ourselves to where I thought he was going. Within seconds I picked the buck up again. After ranging him and getting my dad set up for the shot he fired. The buck started to move when he fired and the bullet struck the buck in his last rib so we ended up with a follow up shot. This is his third coues and his biggest yet. For me, I ended up never pulling the trigger. My ultimate goals were filled, 1 spending a lot of time with my dad in the sticks, and 2 helping him shoot a buck. I was raised with him taking me out deer hunting ever since I was 10. I am thankful for him because hunting is a passion of mine, and I am glad he opened that door to me. I only hope that this helps repay him for all of those years he had helped me. He was rough scored just shy of 90'.

As always, Thank you Amanda for having the best site on the web. I love these coues deer and am glad to found others that share the same love.

post-252-0-91981400-1420520238_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

It is nice to be able to pay the old man back. I helped my pops kill a nice buck, and it felt great, but I still feel like I owe him 100 more. Congrats to you on a very successful hunt.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the picture and story, congratulations to your dad on a nice buck. The last few years have found me on the receiving end of the father son hunting. It is sure nice to have my son setting me up to take nice animals. It also makes this dad real proud.

• Like 4

Father & Son hunting trips there is nothing better! Congrats on a great Buck.

• Like 3

Father & Son hunting trips there is nothing better! Congrats on a great Buck.

Father/daughter trips are on par.....

Great buck, and the ONLY feeling better than getting your Dad a buck, is getting your KID an animal.

• Like 3

Great job. It isn't always about killing a buck. I tell people about some of the hunts when I get back that I don't kill anything and usually they don't understand that it was still successful.

• Like 2

Pine Donkey, I met your son on a recent hunt in MX. You did well; he's a good kid. He was fun to have in camp, and very competent behind the glass too.

Glad you guys had a good time. Nothing like spending time in the woods with dad. Congrats on your success.

• Like 2

Awesome! So happy for both you and your Dad! It's been a great fall hunting season for you two. Great memories that will last a lifetime, excellent trophies and a freezer or two full of delicious meat. Hope you guys get to do it all again next year too!

• Like 3

Congrats to you and your Dad! Thats a great looking buck! His smile says it all.

• Like 1

Congratulations to your Dad on his nice buck and congratulations to you for having such an awesome relationship with him.

• Like 1

Family + Hunting = Best times ever! Congrats to your Dad for a Great buck and congrats to you for understanding the reasons for hunting.

• Like 1