Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

Getting Closer

I am in the midst of a 18 year drought with my bow. I actually got within bow range of a 3x3 Sunday but couldn't close the deal. Finally getting that close gave me the fever pretty good. I went out yesterday after work and glassed up does within a minute of putting my binoculars on the tripod. After a bit of looking I discovered one of the does was actually a spike and he was chasing a doe. I decided what the heck and packed up my stuff. I was watching them run circles on the side of a hill 200 yards away from my position in the wash. I saw them go over the top and figured that would be the last I would see of them. A minute or so later I see the doe running down the hill towards me. They kept coming and at one point I thought they were going to run me over. They ended up heading just to my left and ended up getting about 60 yards away, but they were moving fast and there was no opening for a shot. There isn't much else I have found that will get my heart going like that. I figure I have probably used up all my luck for the year, but now I am hooked. I will give it another try after work today.

• Like 1

Keep after it man! If it makes you feel any better, I've hunted javelina with a bow on and off for about 25 years or so and still haven't put my tag on one yet. Go ahead and laugh, it's cool, I deserve it! I have killed an elk and a deer with the bow since then but need to get the javi monkey off my back! I've hit a few and not recovered them so it's not like I've not had any action but plenty of frustration for me no doubt!

Keep your chin up and stick with it! It can happen when you least expect it. When I killed my archery buck in 2012, it was a very windy day where I thought I would have little chance to kill but a buck ended up basically in my lap and I made the best of it. You never know when that Murphy M!@#er F!@#er is going to take a day off! Stay after it and good luck!

Keep it up man. Try and learn as much as you can from your mistakes. That goes a long way. If you aren't messing up, you aren't trying. I got bit by the bowhunting bug about 2 years ago. I just now had the 1st ever opportunity at even drawing my bow back. I have missed 7 times in the past few weeks, hahahaha. I learned something from every one of those misses and man was it frustrating. Good luck to ya and don't give up!

Whenever you fellas start feeling really frustrated and feel like giving up, just find yourselves a nice saddle with a couple trails and sit down for a break. You'd be surprised how many of those deer that are impossible to stalk will simply walk right up to you if you sit still. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I feel like I have learned some things this year that seem to help. I am doing less aimless walking and more glassing. I have had better luck only moving when I have located an animal and have come up with some sort of a plan of attack.

Thanks for the replies. I feel like I have learned some things this year that seem to help. I am doing less aimless walking and more glassing. I have had better luck only moving when I have located an animal and have come up with some sort of a plan of attack.

Im certainly no expert, but over the last seven or eight years I've had several opportunities to kill deer every single season, and I've managed to connect on five of them. I can tell from experience that the one single mistake I made that kept me from tagging deer earlier on is that I simply didnt give a spot enough time to produce. Regardless of your hunting style you have to give a spot enough time.

Whether in the desert or high in the pines our deer move around a lot. The best deer spots I've ever found dont have bucks in them every day. I killed a b&c class buck this year in a spot that my trail cam only caught bucks in every 3-5 days. You just have to be there when they show up. If your spotting and stalking, you may have to glass the same area over and over for a few days before you find d them. If you're sitting ambushes, I think you have to dedicate a minimum of 3 consecutive all day sits before you can even start to consider moving.

But thats just my .02. So have fun and good luck!

• Like 2