PelaPapas

Locking Up Cams

I'm new to the trail cam world and looking to set one up. I found a spot down south that I would like to set up a trail cam. For the majority of you who put out trail cams do you lock it in one of those steel security boxes, or does the cable/lock seem to work ok for you? There is a lot of deer sign in this spot and also some sign from crossers (Shoes/Hats/Jackets), nothing too new. I'm just wondering if the cable/lock & a good hiding spot for the cam would be enough to prevent my cam getting stolen.

Any input is appreciated...

if someone wants the camera they will get it, no matter what kind of precautions you take. i have been running cameras for about 12 years, i have never used any kind of lock box or cable and never had one stolen. i like to put mine about 8-10' off the ground using tree pegs to set it and check it, just take them out every time. it seems like doing this eliminates a lot of issues dealing with false photos do to sunrise/sunset and people don't tend to "look up" when walking through an area. if somene lays eyes on your camera, there is a good chance of it turning up missing. spend a lot of time on your sets, and try to make the camera look as invisible as possible. adding texture to cameras, and painting them also works well for doing this

• Like 3

if someone wants the camera they will get it, no matter what kind of precautions you take. i have been running cameras for about 12 years, i have never used any kind of lock box or cable and never had one stolen. i like to put mine about 8-10' off the ground using tree pegs to set it and check it, just take them out every time. it seems like doing this eliminates a lot of issues dealing with false photos do to sunrise/sunset and people don't tend to "look up" when walking through an area. if somene lays eyes on your camera, there is a good chance of it turning up missing. spend a lot of time on your sets, and try to make the camera look as invisible as possible. adding texture to cameras, and painting them also works well for doing this

Thanks for the great info Greyghost. Only problem I run into is finding a tree that big to hang it off of. There were only smaller mesquite trees in that spot. Thanks again for your input.

I have a good luck with mine without running any lock boxes. I think I have 9 currently, run them off and on depending on the time of year and what hunts I have coming up. I think I have had one stolen out of maybe 160 "camera months" if you counted one month for each time a single camera was out for a month, and that stolen one was because it was on the strip... haha. There is always a chance of theft, but the further you are from roads, and the less often humans come to the area, the more likely your camera will be fine. Also watch out if cows, bears, or elk can easily access it, it will likely be facing the wrong way or be laying in the dirt when you get back.

• Like 1

I also have cameras down south and although I set up way out of the way I still use the python cables so that I at least get the data recovered. Up to this point after several years I have had people get near the cameras and they never detected it. If they did they did not mess with the locked cameras.

I only run two cams and have only had them for a year. I try to get them out of the way and hidden but do not lock them. I make a four line tag and adhere it with super strong glue. Here is what the tag says : State of New Mexico : Dept. of G&F: Biology Dept. : SN# 14-XXXXXXX. Wish I had not deleted the photos of a hiker about 2 ft. in front of the camera reading the tag. Don't know if the tag helped or not but I still have the camera.