elk_slayer

Best time to start

So this year my new years resolution is to work harder for a bear, this year will be my second year hunting bears in az yet to see one, I would really like help on where is a good spot to start,and when to start scouting. I'm not afraid to hike miles in for one if I have to any help will be appreacated

• Like 1

The AZ Game and Fish website is a great starting point for area to look. I don't think anyone is going to disclose areas with bears openly. Bear hunting is VERY hard, so don't get discouraged if you aren't seeing them. They can be extremely difficult to find. I would learn as much as you can about bears in AZ. Find out what their favorite food sources are and what sign they leave in the woods. Usually, if you find the food, you will find the bears, if you put your time in. I hunted bears for the first time in 2013. I saw one bear the whole season and almost killed it. In 2014 I saw 4 bears and WAY more bear sign. Also had quite a bit of bears on trail cameras. This is because I just knew more about bears than I did my first year. Put the time in learning about bears and bear behavior. That will help out a ton. It is never too early to start looking around. People get trail camera pics of bears year round. They really start moving though when it starts to get hot. First bear I saw last year was on June 1st. I hope this helps out. Good luck to you this year.

• Like 3

I assume you mean the fall hunt...???

google earth the rim areas.

Look for steep slopes that start high near pines and fall off into prickly pear / juniper country. Preferably a canyon with a creek (water) is nearby.

Check water holes for tracks once it starts getting warm again. When you find a water hole that has tracks start looking for food sources in the area. Juniper and oaks. Pears, etc. When you start seeing their doody in the feeding areas, you are getting close.

Last year was epic for bears in the pears but it seems you rarely get two consecutive years of that kind of luck. They might stay in the oaks this year if there are acorns or they might go way low into the mesquite beans if the pears and acorns are not abundant. They will always be near water though in Aug/Sept.

• Like 1

...epic for bears... That is a beauty of a line.

If the El Nino blesses us with some more good winter rains, then bears could be hitting any of the above named food sources and yet others, as nature always produces vegetative food in abundance when the winter rains are above-average. In my opinion, that actually increases the odds of finding a bear, as they will not necessarily be forced to concentrate on a single and perhaps isolated food source as they often do in drought years, so one could encounter a bear in just about any vegetative zone at any given time. That being said, put in a lot of ground time checking out different food sources as they ripen in rugged canyons or vegetated areas within a mile of available water in areas off the beaten path.

period on the post so I can follow :-) haha

Last year was epic for a lot of people, except me. I hate pear years, because I can't figure the pear spots out:( Can't wait for the next oak year! I have some great oak spots.

My best advice is glass all day. I've seen a lot of Bears from 1200-2pm. Find the food and you will find the Bears.

Adam

• Like 1

If you dedicate a full week to a serious bear hunting addiction, you will likely tag out.

• Like 4

I have spent some good time hunting bears over the last 4-5 years. I called one bear in for a friend, and I glassed one up for myself. I saw a bear last year at 30 yards, in VERY thick brush and couldn't get a shot off. I am going to be after them again this fall (and spring) to see if I get lucky. I learn more and more each year but still have plenty more to figure out. I would look back at every bear thread on this forum and it should give you some good ideas for terrain and locations. Finding their food. Water holes. Predator calling. Glassing the steep canyons. Good luck!

• Like 1

I've always found bears very tough to find. I may try to get one in CA this year, a lot more of them over there. I've never seen one in AZ, but haven't been in the zones that have the bigger numbers much. They seem to be very nocturnal and love the thickest stuff possible. Look for deep thick canyons that definitely have water. I'm no expert, but bears don't like to be far from heavy cover or water.

I got lucky and drew the spring archery hunt in 22 so I get to start May 1st. I'm already excited knowing I get to start scouting in March. David

• Like 1

Last year was my first serious year of bear hunting...wow it's tough. Lie stated above, food is key. Glass early and glass late on the fall hunts...in 5 days of bear hunting I found 23 bears. I was with 2 different guys that each killed a bear and I even got the opportunity to shoot at a good bear. I'll warn you, it's addicting ;) have fun!

• Like 1

If you dedicate a full week to a serious bear hunting addiction, you will likely tag out.

...epic for bears... That is a beauty of a line.

If the El Nino blesses us with some more good winter rains, then bears could be hitting any of the above named food sources and yet others, as nature always produces vegetative food in abundance when the winter rains are above-average. In my opinion, that actually increases the odds of finding a bear, as they will not necessarily be forced to concentrate on a single and perhaps isolated food source as they often do in drought years, so one could encounter a bear in just about any vegetative zone at any given time. That being said, put in a lot of ground time checking out different food sources as they ripen in rugged canyons or vegetated areas within a mile of available water in areas off the beaten path.

Kidso, where do you set up to call? Drainages, hill sides, water holes, ETC.