Shooter McGavin

Any Javi jr hunters this weekend

My son drew a jr javelina 36 A,B & C. On Saturday we will be down in 36A. Can't wait just to get out and do some glassing, maybe fill a lion tag and maybe have my son shoot his first yote. Hopefully we can post some pics.

• Like 1

I'm going to the junior's javelina camp organized by Youth Outdoors Unlimited in unit 20C. I'm going to help my friend Jorge's son on his first hunt to get a javelina. If Y.O.U. needs me to take out another youth to hunt, then he or she will join us on the hunt.

Good luck to all the young hunters this weekend!

Yup! Taking my two boys out for the 20C YOU hunt also. Kids are excited to try with archery and ML. See you there!

Took 15-year-old Laura Borden from Golden Valley out for her first ever javelina hunt in Unit 18B this weekend.

Using my Rock River Arms Fred Eichler Series AR-15, she put the smack down on a boar at 40 yards on Saturday.

It weighed field dressed, 37 lbs. 14 oz!

post-11017-0-49139300-1422252776_thumb.jpg

She also has a tag for Unit 16A (left over) and went there on Sunday.

Didn't see any there however.

She had a great time and loves to shoot that AR.

Going back out next week to Unit 16A again, and see what we can find.

Many thanks to the Arizona Game & Fish Department for having Youth only hunts that let first time hunters get into the field without having to compete with mom, dad and Uncle Charlie!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Congrats. Not an easy hunt after 7 weeks of archery deer and 3 weeks archery pig to scare the heck out of the herds before the kids get to chase them. I think they should make it a late december hunt or placed sometime where the pigs haven't been scared to death. The deer and pig population was slaughtered in 2014 and this January in this area. Too many tags plus all the private land have ruined all the units (.