Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

single pin sight question...

i'm using an adjustable single pin sight....i like it so far....question is when you are still hunting and an animal can come in anywhere from 30-60 yds, what default distance do you set your sight at to maximize your chances of not having to microadjust?

I shoot a multi-pin slider just for that reason, but if I was doing it, 40 or 45 would be where I would have it locked into place.

• Like 1

I'm planing on having an archery bull elk tag this year and was considering using the trophy ridge react sight(one pin)....what do you guys think?

I'm planing on having an archery bull elk tag this year and was considering using the trophy ridge react sight(one pin)....what do you guys think?

I've been considering this sight for a while. It looks like it would be a nice sight.

Do a search on trick pin shooting. Its been a while but you should find a guy showing some info on just this issue. I have a white mark on the stem below the fiber dot that is 10 yard higher shot. So I set my slide at 50 yards and I can shoot pretty close from 40 to 60 without adjustment. The only still hunt shot I had was 60 yards is why I set it that way.

I shoot a single pin. When still hunting I set the pin to match the terrain. 40 for open country. 20 in thicker stuff.

Ive also found that practicing this by walking the 3d course and using a fixed pin helps.

Montana black gold ascent ambush!!!! Thank me later! Haha. Seriously though MBG makes an amazing sight. I had an HHA and switched to the MBG ascent and I am much more pleased!

• Like 2

I like the idea of the trophy ridge react because it supposibly automatically sights its self in if you get your 20 and 30 pin dialed in...any one have any experience with this sight? I will look into the MBG!

I've got the HHA Optimizer Lite and like it a lot. I haven't used it in a hunting situation yet, but have wondered the same thing. I'll probably set it at 40 yards.

• Like 1

I have an HHA Optimizer single pin sight. I had previously always used fixed pin sights exclusively, until this slider sight came with my bow. I hated and despised that single pin, until I began using it at the range. I always wondered if I would lose time in the field adjusting it for an animal. However, I am 2 for 2 with the sight and have taken both bear and javelina with it. For me, this sight "forces" me to use the rangefinder around my neck, when previously, I let my adrenaline take over when I had fixed sights and hardly ever ranged my target animal and consequently missed half of my shots!

• Like 1

you can't go wrong with Montana Black gold.... I have had a lot of success keeping my pin locked at 30 yards. In 90 percent of my hunting experiences if the animal presented itself beyond 40 yards, I have had time to range and adjust my pin..i try to never shoot at "alert" animals...