AZCOU3SHUNTER

1st time hunter

I am taking my buddy hunting for the 1st time ever got him set up on a bow and he is using my sitka gear and smaller optics. I want to try and get him on a deer this weekend.

Do you have any advice on where to go close to Chandler/Phx?

I have some swaro 15x56's and a vortex razor 11-33x50 spotter while he uses my diamondback 10x42's. So we have the glass down, just wondering where would be good near us.

Thank you,

Tj Perez

I would recommend not going anywhere I have in the last couple months. If you get your Buddy on a deer his first time bowhunting at the end of the season I'll be quite jealous. I wouldn't get his hopes up too much.

• Like 1

My advice would be to set his expectations LOW on actually killing a deer. Focus on the beauty of the desert, watching animals, smelling the clean air, and spending time as buddies. If he happens to get a stalk in and maybe actually release an arrow, that would be icing! ;)

S.

:)

• Like 4

Oh he is fully aware I have taken him with me before to 36a and 36b for rifle and he knows it's not easy. And I have been hunting for 3 years and I got a deer my first year with a bow and haven't since.

Just looking for a good area for beginners I guess and knowledge helps!

Thank you,

Tj

i'm going to go out in my KUIU camo, while using my SWAROVSKI binos and shooting my GUNWERKS precision rifle. I'll probably be wearing DANNER pronghorn boots, and my optics, that i have down btw, will be mounted on my OUTDOORSMAN tripod. i hope my BERGER bullet finds it's way home and my NIGHTFORCE scope is all dialed in

• Like 9

Oh.... Duh! Shows how well I was paying attention! I saw 'beginner' and 'get him on a deer'.... :blink: Sorry, can't help with a spot close to the valley. Most of my favorites are down South (36A/B) also....

Good luck!!

S.

:)

Lots of good glassing country in 22 off hwy 87 without driving too far. Also 24b is pretty close. Supposed to be nice weather should have a real good weekend.

Mattys281

Thank you I'll try and look for some openings on Google maps or az access map.

In 22 off 87 like by sugar loaf mtn or sycamore creek?

I'm not overly familiar with the unit, other than driving up to payson about a million times. I've backpacked in the Mazatzal several times. You can find both deer species, javis, bears & elk in there. The foothills around the wilderness always looked like great glassing country to me, but as stated I usually just hike through so take it for what it's worth. Anyway you slice it, it's pretty country and you can't go wrong spending a day out roaming around. Good luck to you guys.

Yeah thats true I have a great time just getting out of the city and spending some time outdoors!

Thanks Mattys281!

Ill do some research and try and find a good spot for 1st timers. I just wanted him to atlas get on some deer. Knowing that filling the hard is definitely a skill that comes with many years to come with a bow!

thank you,

Tj