Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

Unit 23 Javelina

Where would be a good place to start in Unit 23 to find some pigs? It has been several years since I have hunted this unit and would like some information on Where to start out. I have been into the Young area and like the area but did not see anything. What is the north side of Roosevelt lake like? Or along Tonto creek? Are there any access issues? My HAM hunt starts on the 6th and I'm starting to get worried that I don't have a good plan. I will only have one more chance to find a starting point then I will be hunting, so any help would be appreciated.

DCM

I am going up tomorrow morning to help on a Jr hunt so I will be glad to pass along anything that we see. From what I have heard the Cherry Creek Rd gets hammered pretty good. There are few herds around Young but I imagine they get some action also. If all else fails hunt the Young dump. Bet you will find some there. :)

I am going up tomorrow morning to help on a Jr hunt so I will be glad to pass along anything that we see. From what I have heard the Cherry Creek Rd gets hammered pretty good. There are few herds around Young but I imagine they get some action also. If all else fails hunt the Young dump. Bet you will find some there. :)

Pigs all over those rolling ridges to the east of the dump!

greenback valley - mud creek area - lots of hunting on north side of Roosevelt lake

last weekend ther were 27 camps along the greenbacks there are pigs there but what a circuis.

one of my group and his son seen javelina on the turkey scouting trip back in September... Right around the 609 road area (on the eastern side) they were crossing the 288)

609 is under young by about 10 miles(?)

Where would be a good place to start in Unit 23 to find some pigs? It has been several years since I have hunted this unit and would like some information on Where to start out. I have been into the Young area and like the area but did not see anything. What is the north side of Roosevelt lake like? Or along Tonto creek? Are there any access issues? My HAM hunt starts on the 6th and I'm starting to get worried that I don't have a good plan. I will only have one more chance to find a starting point then I will be hunting, so any help would be appreciated.

DCM

go down the a+cross rd.....................more desert type area (palo verde and such) but lots of pigs from 1 end to the other. quite of bit of land between the rd and the lake depending on where you go.

some spots off the 288 arounf the cherry creek rd as well.

James

Majority of a cross is closed back side of roosevelt for geese until Feb 15.

• Like 1

your right... I always forget....

is across closed or can you access the east side?......

closure goes almost to salome.... so that's open.

your right... I always forget....

is across closed or can you access the east side?......

closure goes almost to salome.... so that's open.

A-Cross is open. The closure is only on the lake side of the road.

• Like 1

It starts a ways before Salome trailhead but ends not far after the creek. Other side road is open and plenty of pigs to glass up.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will check out some of the areas mentioned. I did spot some pigs flying back from the valey the other day south east of Young. I think we where pretty close to the resevation. I like the area north of pumpkin center but flying over it looks like it is limited access. I will try to do some more scouting this Saturday, but back on duty Sunday. I hope we dont fly I want to watch the game.

DCM

It starts a ways before Salome trailhead but ends not far after the creek. Other side road is open and plenty of pigs to glass up.

didn't say starts said goes all the way to or at least meant to convey that... lol!

appreciate the info Dan!

James