cwnova

19a Cow Hunt

I am a new hunter and also new to the forums, and this is also my first time posting.

I am interested in starting to hunt unit 19a during one of the two cow seasons that are offered. I am intrigued by this unit for a few reasons. While I live in Tucson now, I am from Prescott and still have family there. I love the environment around the prescott area and feel comfortable in the nearby terrain. If I get drawn for elk this year, it will only be my third time. I was successful (lucky) in my first hunt ever, for cow elk in 7 west back in 2013. In 2014 I covered a shitload of ground in unit 8 but came up empty handed.

Ever since I found out that unit 19a issues a small number of tags each year, I am becoming more and more interested. I am young, and in good shape, and I don't mind putting the miles on my legs. I would rather have a tough hunt in seculsion rather than a tough hunt being surrounded by guys on atvs.

Does anyone here have any experience with unit 19a? I hope to do a scout of the area in spring, and If i like what I see i may also attempt to start hunting deer in the unit (this year will be my first time applying for deer). From what I can see it doesn't look like the area has too many access roads, thus preventing atv hunters. I also am assuming not many atv hunters would even apply for a hunt with a low elk population in the unit.

Am I right in making this assumptions?

I appreciate any comments or insight, thanks!

It's always the guys with 1 post looking for help. I'll save everyone the hassle....again.... 19A is tough. you will be very hard pressed to get info out of anyone. there are very few elk and the ones that are there are kept secretive. the first place to start is AZGFD.com. since you are opposed to getting out there and ffinding your own spots, here are a few to start with

Elk Overview: The elk population in Unit 19A is relatively low. A small archery bull hunt has been offered here annually since 1993. With the expansion of the elk herd, a rifle bull hunt and rifle cow hunts were added in the past few years. Check stock tanks for elk use (tracks) prior to the season. Areas of elk concentrations change somewhat year-to-year, depending on localized summer rainfall filling stock tanks and greening up vegetation. Monsoon-type storms during the archery bull hunt briefly intensify elk rutting behavior, aiding hunters who stay afield. Most elk in Unit 19A are relatively low in elevation and temperatures are still warm during the archery hunt. Plan ahead to make sure your hunting location and your elk removal/field care procedures allow meat to be cooled quickly after harvest to prevent spoilage. Cold storage facilities are located in the surrounding towns of Camp Verde, Dewey, and Chino Valley.

Areas: Most elk in Unit 19A are in the juniper and shrub oak habitat types – lower in elevation than hunters would expect. These areas have dense vegetation cover, so stalking may be difficult at times. The Prescott National Forest map identifies the following locations where most of the unit's elk are found: Onion Mountain (just north of the I-17/Hwy 169 junction), Boulder Canyon, upper Cherry Creek, Powell Springs, Goat Peak (note that some of this area burned during the summer of 2003), upper Ash Creek, and Burnt Canyon between Forest Service roads 413 and 132. Lower elk densities are found west of Woodchute Wilderness in Martin Canyon and CCC Canyon, northwest of Woodchute Wilderness in Munds Draw and Wildcat Draw, and near the Verde River off Forest Service Road 638 downstream to Perkinsville (at the junction of County Roads 70/72).

It's always the guys with 1 post looking for help. I'll save everyone the hassle....again.... 19A is tough. you will be very hard pressed to get info out of anyone. there are very few elk and the ones that are there are kept secretive. the first place to start is AZGFD.com. since you are opposed to getting out there and ffinding your own spots, here are a few to start with

Elk Overview: The elk population in Unit 19A is relatively low. A small archery bull hunt has been offered here annually since 1993. With the expansion of the elk herd, a rifle bull hunt and rifle cow hunts were added in the past few years. Check stock tanks for elk use (tracks) prior to the season. Areas of elk concentrations change somewhat year-to-year, depending on localized summer rainfall filling stock tanks and greening up vegetation. Monsoon-type storms during the archery bull hunt briefly intensify elk rutting behavior, aiding hunters who stay afield. Most elk in Unit 19A are relatively low in elevation and temperatures are still warm during the archery hunt. Plan ahead to make sure your hunting location and your elk removal/field care procedures allow meat to be cooled quickly after harvest to prevent spoilage. Cold storage facilities are located in the surrounding towns of Camp Verde, Dewey, and Chino Valley.

Areas: Most elk in Unit 19A are in the juniper and shrub oak habitat types – lower in elevation than hunters would expect. These areas have dense vegetation cover, so stalking may be difficult at times. The Prescott National Forest map identifies the following locations where most of the unit's elk are found: Onion Mountain (just north of the I-17/Hwy 169 junction), Boulder Canyon, upper Cherry Creek, Powell Springs, Goat Peak (note that some of this area burned during the summer of 2003), upper Ash Creek, and Burnt Canyon between Forest Service roads 413 and 132. Lower elk densities are found west of Woodchute Wilderness in Martin Canyon and CCC Canyon, northwest of Woodchute Wilderness in Munds Draw and Wildcat Draw, and near the Verde River off Forest Service Road 638 downstream to Perkinsville (at the junction of County Roads 70/72).

Thanks for the reply. Being a new hunter and having no hunters in my family and circle of friends, azgfd has been my only source of information. I'm not particularly interested in people giving up secret spots - I understand that issue; I was mainly hoping for some feedback on the area and possible past experiences in the area that someone has had. Given that I live in southern AZ and have a fairly busy schedule, I am not opposed to getting out and scouting the area, I just can't get out and do it on a whim. I'll try to remember that new hunters shouldn't ask for feedback on a unit as their first post..

If you are a new hunter I would suggest another unit that has a lot of elk. 19a is a really rough unit in regards to elk. Anything around Flagstaff would be a lot better and would give you a better shot at seeing elk.

I drew 19a one year by accident. I wrote down the wrong hunt number on the application and got drawn for that hunt. It was a cow hunt and we got skunked. Me and a buddy did get a good 50 yard broadside look at a good size 4x4 bull but of course had cow tags.

It is a tough area. Elk are scattered and the areas they are in can be rough. Anything from dense brush to full pine forests. If you are putting in as a lone hunter that might not be a bad area but if you are in a group you lower your draw odds with such a small amount of tags.

I have hunted cow in 19a and went with the g+f web info to start. I never found any in those areas. Eventually I found two herds , cows and bulls . Good luck.

I have never hunted 19A but if I did, i would first scout the areas closest to unit 8 and 6B if possible. Both units have a larger numbers of animals. Find water--- hot during archery season. No reason not to share some basic hunting info to a young new hunter.

And I do agree with everyone one else, hunt somewhere else. 19A very tough

• Like 4

Some guys on here claim to be the saving grace of the internet and and save us all from the "hassle". Wow.

Anyways, I don't know anything about 19A. If I did I'd share with you via PM. Good luck finding your spots and I am glad to see a guy spark up an interest in hunting. Hopefully you can spark that in your own kids someday. Good luck in the draw.

• Like 4

When I drew that hunt it was the early and a fourth choice. If know one in my family draw that tag this year I will send you a pm.

The people who are successful in 19a are mostly locals who spend alot of time in it. I live in the unit and i still have never hunted it for elk. Better options in other units.

Here is the cow I shot last month on the late hunt. This is right where she fell. We didn't hardly have enough room to break her down.

Hardest stalk, hardest shot, hardest pack out, I have ever had on a cow hunt. In 19a finding them is the easy part.

post-843-0-85570300-1422568876_thumb.jpeg

Edited by thegunsmith2506
  • Like 3

Here is the cow I shot last month on the late hunt. This is right where she fell. We didn't hardly have enough room to break her down.

Hardest stock, hardest shot, hardest pack out, I have ever had on a cow hunt. In 19a finding them is the easy part.

Hardest stock, hardest shot, hardest pack out, I have ever had on a cow hunt. In 19a finding them is the easy part.

Uh oh! Now the draw odds are going to go down because of this comment. Jk, congrats! I was wondering if you tagged out.

my wife hafthe early cow tag a few years ago. I scouted 14 consecutive weekends. I found a few heards. On opening day there were people over running every spot I have found. The record was 7 trucks in one spot.

A lot of good comments came in! I appreciate all of them, every bit of feedback helps when I am trying to choose a unit in a specific part of the state! I felt comfortable in what I learned about unit 8 this past season so that may be at least one of my choices. Looks like I still have some thinking to do regarding 19a. Good luck for everybody looking to draw a tag for this year's season. Thanks again