Sign in to follow this  
huntwithme2

southwest nm

I can't seem to find the coyote hills on the map. does anyone know where they are. also this may sound dumb but I was talking to an old timer about javelina hunting and he kept saying the hatchita's. I kept saying the hatchet mountains he kept saying no the hatcheta's. aren't they the same or are they some secret mountain range I can't see on the map

Little Hatchets are in Grant and Hildalgo Counties. Spanish translation, Hatchitas.

I just returned from hunting unit 24. Javelina population was lower than in past years.

Talking with folks living in the area, they indicated Parvo was causing quite a reduction

in herd size. I have no way of verifying this, but it seemed like there were fewer than

years previous. I've been finding my javelinas the last several years in the grass flats

around yucca thicket. Also check the Gold Hill area east of Lordsburg south of the highway.

It took a lot of glassing this time. But ended with a nice boar. Good luck.

Hatchita Peak is the highest peak in the Little Hatchet Mtns. Just outside of...you guessed it...Hatchita, NM. Hatchita means "Little Hatchet" in Spanish, as others have stated.