Beaner

AZ Antelope advice

Similar to the post above........I'm sitting on 21 points right now as a Resident. I am considering trying to cash them in this year for a rifle tag. I'm unable to scout at all because I am a Marine stationed overseas, and haven't hunted antelope in AZ since my college days in the 90s.

That said, i am leaning towards going guided.

What unit would you apply for, and what guide/outfit would you hire for the best chance at good goat and a good experience?

Appreciate any advice.

I would go to unit 10 and hire high point outfitters to guide me. I've seen some really nice antelope in the unit.

All units are pretty hard to draw , I think 24is the pass. Yes there are alot of great guides, and antelope are pretty easy to hunt.muzzle loader little better odds. Ask flatlanders he'll be able to tell you your best shot. Need help of you get drawn let me no.

5b without a doubt. If you decide not to hire a guise I would be happy to scout for you! Anything to help those who are protecting our freedom's

• Like 6

Beaner,

We like units 10 and 5B the best, but also hunt the other units that hold good goats. You are getting real close to getting a tag. Here are some pictures of one of our clients from last year in unit 10. The goat officially scored 84 7/8's and is 18 6/8's tall.

Come and enjoy a hunt with us this year.

post-4333-0-24347200-1423371593_thumb.jpg

post-4333-0-03646600-1423371964_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know how much they charge but pronghorn guide service kills monsters every year. They have pronghorn hunting down to a science and guide most of the governors tags. Assume they are expensive but would be worth it.

• Like 1

Figure out the tag first, then get a guide or find a goat yourself, that's the fun part. You can kill good bucks in most units. Unfortunately 21 doesn't guarantee you much. Good luck, make it a blast!

PM me if you want some ideas on units you have a good chance at.

And just for kicks and giggles here is my 2014 smoke pole buck, 88 4/8" unofficially. It was a sometimes overlooked unit, probably got more attention last year than it needed.

post-5618-0-29708900-1423444256_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know how much they charge but pronghorn guide service kills monsters every year. They have pronghorn hunting down to a science and guide most of the governors tags. Assume they are expensive but would be worth it.

They have an auction tag or raffle hunter every year they do kill good animals every year but, the special tags that are killed before the normall hunts start are pretty easy. HPO kills as well in unit 10 low 80's every year

outfitters that tell you they kill in 10 or 5b have them show you the boone and Crockett offiical results not what they post on ther sites. How big of a buck are you looking for? if my nephew or my son doesn't draw and you want a 80 inch antelope out of 5b I will guide you for free. Thank for your service Beaner

• Like 3

Good luck on the draw. I have 21 points also. Been hunting in AZ for 35 years, never been on an antelope hunt. Hoping it happens this year. I haven't decided yet on the unit for this year, but I feel like I will likely get another point - no bonus point round yet.

HPO has some great goats. I hope no one felt like I was trying to discount any of their work or bucks. If I was going guided they would definitely be on the shortlist.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice from all. Beautiful bucks Flatlander and HPO. I'll let you know how the draw pans out. Based on what I have heard, 3 more years and I should be good to go on a tag.

I have had 3 rifle tags in the past 21 years so there is plenty of chances getting drawn without high bonus points. Here is the goat I got 2 years ago and none of my hunts were guided.

post-12283-0-35638900-1423523680_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I have had 3 rifle tags in the past 21 years so there is plenty of chances getting drawn without high bonus points. Here is the goat I got 2 years ago and none of my hunts were guided.

Well Matdady, you are the exception to the rule. 3 tags in 21 years is AWESOME!! I am an AZ native since 1956 and didn't get my first and only tag for 30 years. Rub some luck on us PLEASE???? Nice goat by the way.