capoeirajosh

Problem with neighbor's dog

I've got no use for people that don't properly contain and control their dogs regardless of species.

• Like 2

I've got no use for people that don't properly contain and control their dogs regardless of species.

100% agreed. Especially, if you know your dog has issues. Maybe it is dog aggressive or people aggressive. It is their responsibility to make sure that the dog isn't around people or other dog's then. Lots of irresponsible dog owners out there.

Not all pit bulls are bad, but the majority of their owners have no business owning a dog that requires proper training and that needs to be spayed or castrated to keep their hormones down.

We have 4 of them ranging from 3-5 years old that we have worked with and properly trained since they were puppies. They all have been spayed. Chipped and have had all their shots etc. We taken them to the dog parks to socialize with other dog's and different people. Never had a issue. They love kids and anyone who comes to the house. The first time one of them shows aggression towards a person that will be their last time.

If you did your research you'd see that there is way more reports of dog bites from labs, cockers, German shepards and dalmations than pits.

They are actually very intelligennt dogs who want nothing more than to please their owner.unfortunately they get in the hands of the wrong owners and that's the biggest reason they have a bad rep.

Well done on raising your dogs right! I had a buddy in a similar situation, his were great dogs too. Then one day he forgot to close the gate, and those two great dogs ate up the neighbors dog that was on a leash and tore into the neighbor pretty good when she tried to stop them. Good dogs though. Another friend had a good one also, until a friend came over with his young child (3-4) and that good dog for no reason chose to rip the face off of his buddy's daughter. It was a good dog too, very well trained with excellent manners.

I usually avoid these conversations on this website, but you got my attention when you said "If you did your research you'd see that there is way more reports of dog bites from labs, cockers, German shepards and dalmations than pits."

You're wrong buddy, check out the research conducted over the last 30 years. http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2013.pdf . While I hope you would read the full report, if you just want to scroll real quickly through the pages checking out just the first and second columns that will suffice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I thought others might enjoy the 'research.'

I think I'da asked once ... after that it woulda been animal control and a face to face with the "neighbor". Wouldn't have left until the hill was gone and the dog was chained. " If I get to it..." my A~~. I'm a nice guy until nice doesn't work...then its time for business.

• Like 2

Not all pit bulls are bad, but the majority of their owners have no business owning a dog that requires proper training and that needs to be spayed or castrated to keep their hormones down.

We have 4 of them ranging from 3-5 years old that we have worked with and properly trained since they were puppies. They all have been spayed. Chipped and have had all their shots etc. We taken them to the dog parks to socialize with other dog's and different people. Never had a issue. They love kids and anyone who comes to the house. The first time one of them shows aggression towards a person that will be their last time.

If you did your research you'd see that there is way more reports of dog bites from labs, cockers, German shepards and dalmations than pits.

They are actually very intelligennt dogs who want nothing more than to please their owner.unfortunately they get in the hands of the wrong owners and that's the biggest reason they have a bad rep.

Well done on raising your dogs right! I had a buddy in a similar situation, his were great dogs too. Then one day he forgot to close the gate, and those two great dogs ate up the neighbors dog that was on a leash and tore into the neighbor pretty good when she tried to stop them. Good dogs though. Another friend had a good one also, until a friend came over with his young child (3-4) and that good dog for no reason chose to rip the face off of his buddy's daughter. It was a good dog too, very well trained with excellent manners.

I usually avoid these conversations on this website, but you got my attention when you said "If you did your research you'd see that there is way more reports of dog bites from labs, cockers, German shepards and dalmations than pits."

You're wrong buddy, check out the research conducted over the last 30 years. http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2013.pdf . While I hope you would read the full report, if you just want to scroll real quickly through the pages checking out just the first and second columns that will suffice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I thought others might enjoy the 'research.'

I have got to the point that I dont put any trust in any research. There are too many hidden agendas from the support dollars to the researchers to put any validity in. Everything that you see on TV, read in the paper, or find on the internet has a purpose, and it's not just to inform. It's all manipulation of the public perception, not the truth. I am sure if you took the time to dig around on the interrnet pitbulls and assult rifles have killed more people than have been born yet.

• Like 1

There are many aggressive breeds of dogs. All can be well behaved if trained right. But a breed that is notedly aggressive should always be viewed with caution by those who'd rather not be a victim......I watch Pits, Rotts, German Shepherds, Dobies, American Bulldogs and all of the Mastiff variants closely...especially when kids are around. The bigger the dog, the more ready I am to react if necessary. A ZT 300 comes out quick and can end a situation in a flash. After all...they are just animals...even the best of them can be unpredictable.

• Like 2

That said...my worst bite came from a Lab of all things....so you watch'em all...

I grew up with family owned German Shepherds. Most Loyal and protective dogs I have ever owned. When I was a boy, my Uncle came over he would tease the dog by coming for me. That Dog would get right between me and my Uncle. Then My Uncle got bit because he pushed the dog too far. My dog wouldn't hurt anyone unless you messed with the family. My uncle found out the hard way.

Had a German Shepherd that would walk with me to the bus stop when I went to Sabino High School. All the other kids knew her, and she was great around them. When the bus picked us up, she would walk herself back home about a 1/4mile.

Good dogs are good dogs. It's just hard to breed out the unpredictability of what was once a wild animal.

Years ago while living in Tucson, I trained guard dogs and personal protection dogs. I had a friends pit bull that I was keeping for a few days. The pit and a Doberman I was training got together thru carelessness on my part. The pit latched onto the Doberman and would not let go for anything. I was alone at the time and I had to put a chain on the pits collar and tie him to a tree. I then took the Doberman by the back legs and started pulling away from the pit. Every few seconds the pit would open his mouth a little to get a bigger bite. When he did I would get a little more of the Doberman out of his mouth. Finally got em apart with no real damage done to the Doberman. I have often wondered what would happen if it was a child or small adult that was on the receiving end of that deal. Most of your other dogs don't sem to have the tendency to hold and grind away. They will bite and let go and maybe bite again, but not with the tenacity of a pit bull. That trait would make me hesitant to have a pit bull around kids. The pit in this instance was as meek as a lamb after the ordeal was over.

• Like 1

Never own a dog you can't control 1000% of the time or are willing to put down in a nano second when it crosses the line. Some are companions or Service/Working Dogs.

But make no mistake nor give them human qualities. They are animals, can't read or write, don't build things or will ever evolve past being dogs. Ever.

• Like 2

Yup, famous last words of many. "But he was a good dog". Difference with dogs built like pits, is they don't just bite, they maul. As well as a good dog with the family it knows can be deadly around everyone else. So yes, it may be a good dog until an instinct we don't understand, triggers it on a unknowing victim.

OP you sound reasonable with your neighbors, they are not obviously or they'd respect your attempts to resolve it in a mature manner. Keep out of trouble and do what needs to be done. You gave them there chance. Lots of funny, good and not so good advice on here. This is a great thread.

All of the things people are posting to do to the dog, try with the owner first. I bet it will go a long way in getting him to be responsible.

1. Spray with water.

2. Paintball gun/slingshot.

3. Electric stimuli.

4. Baseball bat.

5. Well, you get the picture.

• Like 1