Sign in to follow this  
sherman

berger vld

So i have some 105 gr vld bullets has anyone got them to work well in a factory remington 700 243 with a 1:9 1/4 twist i know the box says it needs a 1:8 twist or faster. I am just looking to use these bullets. Thanks for your help

i tried the 95 berger they did not work. they are shorter than the 105 berger. the 105 amax some say they work some no. i would try the 87 and 88 berger or 87 horn . i won a 1000 yard match with the 88 grain berger and the 87 hornady.

Check the Berger twist calculator for gyroscopic stability. It states (just guessing at a 3000fps MV), you are at the low end of marginal stability. At 1.14SG, probably not going to work out too well. Berger suggests the 85 VLD,90 Classic Hunter and down in bullet weight.

Try it. Only your gun can tell you what it likes. If not, sell what you have left and try a different bullet. It won't hurt the gun, and time behind the rifle is never a bad thing.

I will probably just get rid of them then I have a bunch of different bullets

I was under the impression the Remington's were made with a 10 twist and the savages have the 9.25 twist. In any case the 105 bergers probably wont work well. The 95gr berger will more than likely be the heaviest you can I have had good luck with the 105 Amax in my savages though.

Actually it's 1-9 1/8"

And....some guns will stabalize it others will not.

= the A-max that is...I doubt the Bergers will.

I think it has a lot to do with altitude/velocity among many other things.

So i have some 105 gr vld bullets has anyone got them to work well in a factory remington 700 243 with a 1:9 1/4 twist i know the box says it needs a 1:8 twist or faster. I am just looking to use these bullets. Thanks for your help

Shrman- i can not tell what you are going to use them for. i can tell that out of both several sako and remington rifles the 87 grain bergers work great.