Sign in to follow this  
87lc

17 bonus pts...what to do?

So as of this draw I have 17 bonus points. I usually just hunt with family. But the last few years I keep thinking this is my year. Don't we all! Here is my problem. IF and thats is a big IF I get drawn do I go for a guide.

To me hunting is not about the size of the animal but about the whole adventure. But I feel like a once in a lifetime hunt I should go for size. Once I get drawn I will go back to putting in for cow hunts for my second choice, with a trophy hunt/late bull hunt as a first choice just in case I get lucky.

Next question: How do you determine which guide?

P.S I put in for 23 north.

Depends on what you want out of the hunt. If you have the money, want someone to do the work of finding bulls for you and want that atmosphere then do it. I'd personally never hire a guide but that's me.

If you do hire one, look around payson. There are a couple good guys/guides down there that arent "big name" outfitters. They'll treat you good and be thankful to help you on your hunt.

If you had time to scout 23n you wouldn't need a guide. If you won't have time to get up there much hire a guide if you have the cash. I drew 23n archery two years ago and put some decent time in there scouting but not a ton and was able to kill a 370 bull fourth day. Lots of big bulls there. Rifle hunt should be even easier. Lots of guides know that area well so I think it would come down to getting past references and what they think about the outfitters. Ask around. Generally of an outfitter has screwed someone or did a bad job the word spreads.

If you are talking about the early rifle hunt, I wouldn't worry too much about what to do. My suggestion would be to save the $ you would spend on a guide, get good archery gear and get good with it and then go have one heck of an archery hunt next year.

• Like 2

I don't understand all the anti-guide stuff. A hunt is what YOU make it. 15 to 17 years waiting is a dang long time. I would want to make the most of it. Yeah you can be a lazy guy and show up expecting them to have something tied up for you. OR you can hunt your tail off right along side of your guides. Hiring a guide wouldn't take anything away from your hunt. Actually and usually IMO what happens is the exact opposite. Most of the time you end up with new friends and actually LEARN new techniques and tactics that will aid you in the future. Again The hunt is what YOU make it!!! Guide or no guide!

• Like 6

WHICH 23N bull tag did you apply for?

Early Rifle? 9-25 to 10-1? My assumption, since you are still iffy on drawing, and an archery tag would be a given with 17bps.

Archery? 9-11 to 9-24?

Late general? 11-27 to 12-3? This is 23, not just 23N, so probably not this hunt.

I'd go without a guide. You'll feel better killin a 320 bull on your own than you would a 350 bull with a guide. But if you do choose to get a guide look into guys who specialize in elk in 23N

I agree with this. Again I don't necessarily care about size, but a 350 bull would be nice.

I've looked at the odds a little, but is it really easier to get drawn for Archery then rifle? I did the early rifle bull. So, are you guys saying if I did the early archery bull I would have a better chance of getting drawn? Two years ago I bought a used bow from a friend to try going after deer when I didn't get drawn.

Anyways, I got a lot of time to sit and daydream about drawing a tag.

Probably guaranteed an early archery tag, but an early rifle bull tag is really close . Good luck, if you hire a guide just make sure he drinks the same beer as you. :)

17 points is a LONG time !! If you know the unit and if you are hard core have at it. I would not hunt 23N and not make the absolute best out of it and if that meant hiring a one time guide hire one !! It's your tag, your hunt, your money. Should you get drawn remember chances are you won't see another 23N tag for a LONG, LONG time. On that hunt I would want all the odds stacked in my favor !! Good luck in the draw.

• Like 1

I have to say that I don't think a lot of the comments were "anti-guide", just pro "do it yourself". I take great pleasure in scouting, figuring out the patterns of the elk myself, etc. It is part of the challenge/reward for ME. Growing up in NY, I read and dreamed of hunting elk, without ever thinking I would really do it. Luckily, my dream has come true. Waiting to get 17 pts, contemplating getting a guide, I get it. That is a lot of time invested for a really good hunt. If you have the money and you think hiring a guide gives you the best chance at harvesting the trophy you are hoping for, then I say hire a guide. I am sure you will enjoy yourself, or at least I hope so. I hunted with a guide once in Cali. for pigs and it was a fun hunt. I have no complaints. Do I enjoy figuring out elk on my own? Yes I do. But that is me, and I think that is what some of the other guys are trying to say. I may be wrong, but I don't think anybody would hold it against you if you hired a guide. You do what is best for you and your family and to heck with anybody that doesn't agree. Good luck in the draw and good luck on your hunt, no matter what you decide.

• Like 1

I had the same scenario once, but I drew an early rifle Bull tag in unit one with only 3 points in 96. Did about 5-6 days self scouting and killed a 330 bull with just a buddy tagging along. I remember talking to a guide on the archery hunt while I was scouting. It was a real bad drought year ,and his words were you can get a 330 on Your own( not knowing what I was doing back then} or kill a 360 with him. Funny He was right on with the 330 mark. This year with 20 non res. points I should draw a tag and even now I know what I'm doing I'm still gettin a guide. No time to Scout but should be moving back down there by then. Turning 59 on Sept. 6th that will be my birthday present to myself. Chances at that age I will never have another early rifle bull tag. Easy decision for me ,I want a chance at a 370 type bull or better. Hope theirs been better moisture this year.. Oh Ya and did I ever say winters in N. Dakota suck big time. This is My 4th and I'm done...............BOB!

• Like 2

I'd go without a guide. You'll feel better killin a 320 bull on your own than you would a 350 bull with a guide. But if you do choose to get a guide look into guys who specialize in elk in 23N

I agree with this. Again I don't necessarily care about size, but a 350 bull would be nice.

I've looked at the odds a little, but is it really easier to get drawn for Archery then rifle? I did the early rifle bull. So, are you guys saying if I did the early archery bull I would have a better

chance of getting drawn? Two years ago I bought a used bow from a friend to try going after deer when I didn't get drawn.

Anyways, I got a lot of time to sit and daydream about drawing a tag.

I would have to double check but you should be in max point pool. For23N early archery. That means the tag would be guaranteed. You are probably a long ways off from 23N early rifle though. With so few tags and point creep I would expect 5-10 years more for a rifle tag. You should make up the decision if yours gonna wait for rifle or gonna be happy with a bow tag and if so pull the trigger ASAP on it and start building more points. A 350 bull in that unit with an early archery hunt is very very doable with or without an outfitter if you can hit a paper plate every time at 40 yds and keep your cool. If you want rifle plan on a long wait yet.

Last year 19 points was the bonus point pool with 20% of those applicants being drawn. From what I see at 17 points, you're almost to a 2% chance of drawing this year; but since they split that hunt up to the South and North units, it might vary a little bit. You may be quite a few years away from a guaranteed tag.

If you went into next years draw with 18 points, based on what applicants do, you would be in the bonus point pass for maximum points in 23 North for the early archery hunt and draw that hunt next year.

Every so many years, the early archery hunt swings back to start at a later date; more towards mid September, which could make for better rutting action; maybe factor that in for future appications.... but with such few tags and a lack of hunting pressure, 23 North should be slamming anyways.

Wish I had your problem!