Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Favorite Family Memories

Howdy all, I'm starting this thread in hopes to see all your favorite outdoor trips you've shared with your family!

I basically did life in reverse, I chased my dreams of hunting for a living and acted "retired" for a large part of my life but now I've settled down and started a family of my own. This has changed my priorities on a grand scale and although I will still guide a few hunts every year (bugling bulls of course :P) I'm now focused on spending time with my daughter!

I've been very protective of her over the past year and haven't taken her out in the woods with me yet. I was too worried about her head bobbing around on dirt roads, what if she gets sick, etc. But she just turned 1 year old and is almost running now... just in time for shed hunting and fishing and I'm very excited to get out there with her!

I'll soon have pics to post here with her and I shed hunting and fishing and can't wait! 'Till then, let's see your favorite times in the outdoors with family!

Recent trip to the zoo on Ariel's 1st birthday...

IMG_0153_zps002f5f8f.jpg

I'm hoping she was thinking... "You look tasty"!!!

IMG_0150_2_zps9ac04b67.jpg

• Like 15

They grow up fast. Enjoy every moment. My daughter Sarah lives in the city now but she still comes home to go out hunting. Glassed up 4 Coatis yesterday and asked her if she wanted to shoot one. She said if it's legal let's do it. 157 yards with her 7mm-08.

post-958-0-97623100-1424575601_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-77488700-1424575695_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

She is awesome! You are a blessed man Jim. Bring on the pictures. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Congrats on your baby girl coosefan. You thought your life was exciting before, but just wait..... ;)

Here's one of my older girls. She just turned 14 and is tough as nails. Been backpacking with me for two winters already and started bowhunting this year. We haven't got her an opportunity at something with antlers yet, but it's coming.

Waiting patiently.....

post-1431-0-49627100-1424582140_thumb.jpg

This is a puppy we found way back in the sticks this January on the second day of what was supposed to be a four day hunt. I figure somebody must have dumped him off the side of the highway and he'd wandered into the wilderness. He was all skin & bones & getting eatin up by ticks & fleas, so we knew he'd been out there starving for a while. He wolfed down two of our pb&j sandwiches in about 30 seconds. Needless to say, we called the hunt early and packed him out to a flea bath, a good meal and then the animal shelter.

post-1431-0-27809100-1424582149_thumb.jpg

This is my 2 year old baby girl. We're taking a little time to have a break and explore the forest some on our way up to a cabin in Greer.

post-1431-0-54451800-1424582371_thumb.jpg

post-1431-0-09273100-1424582386_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

No pics but I can remember the day . Early Dec. 1970 We both shot at a doe . We don't know who it her but we were just happy . It was my first kill. After shooting nothing but ground hogs in PA .This was big for Me. I thought. It really didn't excite Me It was a dam doe I been a horn hunter all my life. Meat don't excite Me. This is one of the few memories I have with My Dad who is 94 as we speak. He took me out alot when I was young, but don't remember much. Enjoy time with Yur dad as You don't know how long it will last. I look back at 45 years ago and they were probly the best times of My life. My last living uncle or aunt from central Penn moved to Erie PA. in the late 40's from Brookville ,PA. Passed 3 years ago.At the funeral My dad said in the 30''s when uncle Vince was a kid in the late 30's killing rabits in the back yard woods with his brother for the family to eat. And we think we got it rough .My 2 boys in their 20's don't hunt so the late 60's sound like fun.Only God can take Me back in time. it will happen . enjoy the time with Your DAD . there aint much time left..................BOB!

• Like 8

Thanks all and awesome pics!

Mattys281 that is so cool she goes backpack hunting with you! Good job with the puppy, I bet your willingness to leave early to help that little guy left a lasting impression on her!

Great advice NatureBob! We had a close call on a health issue with my dad a long time ago and ever since I make it a priority to spend time with him, especially on the hunts!

I'm fortunate to have a bunch of great experiences with my Pops, not sure what would be my favorite as they are all special, but here's one that stands out. Pops and I shot our biggest Coues bucks back to back on the same hunt years ago in the snow, it was an amazing time! Both bucks actually scored within 1/2" of each other too! JIM>

mx11.jpg

mxdad6.jpg

• Like 10

Great topic. I have a lot of outdoor memories of my family but they are mostly horseback riding. I grew up in Idaho and we did a lot of mountain riding.

We have had our boy out on a few camping trips already, but Friday was his first time out hunting with us. At 10mo he is running around like crazy and loves being outside. He loved riding around in the pack and seeing new things. It was a great day out with the family, and as a bonus his mom killed a pig with her bow. I can't wait to make more memories in the future.

Ready to go

post-843-0-35363700-1424706224_thumb.jpeg

post-843-0-26648900-1424706232_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Perfect topic to make it 1000 posts on this site.

I grew up loving the outdoors because of this man. post-5669-0-92540600-1424714094_thumb.jpg

There are 50 years of hunting and fishing memories with my Dad and my Brother. Not many pictures but wonderful times that I will never forget. Unfortunately my Dad probably won't go on any more hunts. He's going to be 90 this June and heart issues kept him from going deer hunting last season and kept him from putting in for elk. If I actually get drawn this year maybe I can talk him into coming along for the fun. As NatureBob said Cherish the times with your Dad cause you never know when they won't make it anymore.

My son tried hunting but didn't really love it like I do. He still loves to camp. My daughter would never shoot any animal but loves to fish (catch and release). She says she doesn't eat meat. Someday she'll admit that chicken nuggets have meat in them! I LOVE to spend the time with both of my kids in the outdoors and hope the memories we are creating mean as much to them as the memories of the outdoors with my Dad mean to me!

post-5669-0-67183200-1424714686_thumb.jpg

• Like 8