jgraffaz

Any one every stashed hunting gear-supplise in the back country?

I have been thinking about burying some 5 gallon buckets in the back country with a water tight seal so I can stash supplies and gear back there on all my scouting trips so I can have a few extra luxurys that I would not usually wast the space or weight packing in on the hunt....anyone ever done this?

Never done it but I have seen it done along with some 1 gallon water bottles. Most I have done is stash a coupe of water bottles on the hike in because I knew I was coming back that way and didn't have to carry them.

When I was much younger and in better shape I use to haul water and supplies and cover them with heavy duty garbage bags during the early bear hunts where temp. would reach 100deg. This way I could stay all day until the bears came out in the evenings. Worked out quite well. :)

TJ

Guest akaspecials

I know guys that do it. Sadly half of them never remove them after the hunt. I personally believe that you should pack in and pack out every time. How much creature comfort do you really need? A 40 lbs pack can carry everything you need for a few days easy.

Also make sure you don't do it wilderness areas. Very illegal. I carry old caches out of wilderness areas at least once a year. (Note that these are years old, battered, unusable, and quite frankly garbage. Even though I disagree with caches I don't touch ones that are clearly in use or a few years old).

Sorry for rambling, but just make sure you pull it out of the woods after your hunt.

I did it in the Catalina State Park 20 years ago when in college. It was fun, because I could skip class on a whim and take off into the mountains and pull a tent and blanket out of a rock cache and set it up without any advanced planning for a quick escape. I did pack everything down the mountain after I graduated! Be careful when stashing water. I thought my containers were air tight, but they were not. I opened one jug and the water was nasty smelling and tasted rancid. Also, be careful of critters, as I had a gila monster folded up in my blanket once!

• Like 1

I did it in the Catalina State Park 20 years ago when in college. It was fun, because I could skip class on a whim and take off into the mountains and pull a tent and blanket out of a rock cache and set it up without any advanced planning for a quick escape. I did pack everything down the mountain after I graduated! Be careful when stashing water. I thought my containers were air tight, but they were not. I opened one jug and the water was nasty smelling and tasted rancid. Also, be careful of critters, as I had a gila monster folded up in my blanket once!

Yikes!!

I have done it with water only. It opens up a lot of areas for a hunter where the drinking water is scarce. Yes, always have a plan to take out your trash.

• Like 1

I have found several, and most look like they have not been visited in a very long time, but were full of camping stuff way back in the hills?

• Like 1

Same as above - in younger yrs . several weeks before season hike in camp/supplies - the little stove - a couple ponchos for tent - water - lantern

the biggest mistake is food - like stated above - Bears got into the wrapped up / stuffed up in a tree and poked big tooth holes in all the cans of stew etc. water jugs - - we managed to spend one night but haven't tried it since -

anymore with all the new light weight stuff for backpacking - that's the only way to go -

Just water, because it is the heaviest and most necessary thing to have in the desert. When I was done I dumped anything left and packed out the containers.

I have been thinking about burying some 5 gallon buckets in the back country with a water tight seal so I can stash supplies and gear back there on all my scouting trips so I can have a few extra luxurys that I would not usually wast the space or weight packing in on the hunt....anyone ever done this?

You have something I don have? You are supposed to tell me that has none, so I too can have yours! I wail cherish what you give me of yours, so that way i will have something too. Don't post it, just PM me too give me your stuff, I mean my stuff.