Guest oneshot

Illegal Blinds/Hunting in Madera

I'd say if your're actively pursuing game within the 1/4 mile then you're hunting. Probably isn't worth arguing with them about the glassing from a road.

From AZLance: "It is closed to discharge of any weapon including bow"

Glassing is not "Discharging a weapon". How can FS restrict you from glassing? Then the birdwatchers and game watchers are screwed too.

The area I was talking about is in unit 33 off reddington road. That is where it is .6 of a mile.

Wow, You have never done anything wrong in your life you are a better man then me. I have done many things wrong in my life some by accident some on purpose, I have been punished by the man and my conscious. but most of the time I am not silent and I don't tell my problems to Johnny, I used to just take care of it myself maybe that's why I got in trouble a lot , sounds like you are an Angel? I have never known one but maybe we can share a campfire sometime so I can see what one looks like. I might hunt 34a this year ONESHOT maybe you can come out one night.

Just a question: How is it legal to close hunting within 1/4 mile of a paved surface? Is it FS land? National Park? Wildlife refuge?

I understand no shooting "knowingly from, onto, or across" a road or railway.

I also understand "no discharge of a firearm with 1/4 of an occupied structure or recreation area".

And lastly, "from a vehicle or boat under power".

Forest Service closed a 4 mile stretch of Reddington road in unit 33 to hunting. It is closed to discharge of any weapon including bow within .6 mile of the road.

That's like 4 square miles...

What part are you speaking of? I know there is a "No Parking" zone that is where the wild cat shooting was done around the 5 to 7 mile post.

Just a question: How is it legal to close hunting within 1/4 mile of a paved surface? Is it FS land? National Park? Wildlife refuge?

I also understand "no discharge of a firearm with 1/4 of an occupied structure or recreation area".

Forest Service closed a 4 mile stretch of Reddington road in unit 33 to hunting. It is closed to discharge of any weapon including bow within .6 mile of the road.

What part are you speaking of? I know there is a "No Parking" zone that is where the wild cat shooting was done around the 5 to 7 mile post.

If you read the new signs and order they posted it states "no discharging any weapon within .6 mile of Reddington road"

Where does this restriction start? Is it at the Forest Boundary or after the pay station? I will be getting a map as I had no idea this rule was in place. And also what do they consider hunting, is the rule just no discharge of firearm within 1/4 mile of the road or do they consider Glassing from near the road hunting.

Restriction starts at the pay-station, there is not a USFS map that shows the closed areas...

Thanks Oneshot, I haven't made my way up into the canyon yet, I normally hunt north of the pay station. I figured with all the campgrounds and houses up in the canyon there had to be some restrictions up there.

There has been bear activity on the north side of the Mountain range as well. However it is against Federal and State rule for any person to enter the Madera Canyon area with a weapon (including bow and arrow) capable of operating. In other words the Madera Canyon area to within 1/4 mile of the closure area is illegal to hunt in. To get more details on the closure area contact the Forest Service Nogales Ranger District: 303 Old Tucson Rd. Nogales, AZ 85621 (520) 281-2296. There is an alternative for the archer. The Florida Canyon Work Center has a trailhead just before entering the work center area. This trailhead allows the hunter foot access to several trails on the north side of the Santa Ritas. To get there take I-19 to the Continental road turnoff. Follow the road east to Forest Road 481. Take the 481 road south to the trailhead parking area.

From azgfd.com so if your hunting Madera canyon are you hiking all the way around from the bottom of the canyon? This says you can't even drive in with a weapon?

There has been bear activity on the north side of the Mountain range as well. However it is against Federal and State rule for any person to enter the Madera Canyon area with a weapon (including bow and arrow) capable of operating. In other words the Madera Canyon area to within 1/4 mile of the closure area is illegal to hunt in. To get more details on the closure area contact the Forest Service Nogales Ranger District: 303 Old Tucson Rd. Nogales, AZ 85621 (520) 281-2296. There is an alternative for the archer. The Florida Canyon Work Center has a trailhead just before entering the work center area. This trailhead allows the hunter foot access to several trails on the north side of the Santa Ritas. To get there take I-19 to the Continental road turnoff. Follow the road east to Forest Road 481. Take the 481 road south to the trailhead parking area.

From azgfd.com so if your hunting Madera canyon are you hiking all the way around from the bottom of the canyon? This says you can't even drive in with a weapon?

I read this same thing and had the same concerns. From the sounds of that statement, I would assume Madera Canyon is closed to all weapons, which means no hunting in the canyon. It's kind of a weird way to word it though. "In other words the Madera Canyon area to within 1/4 mile of the closure area is illegal to hunt in"

• Like 1

If you read the new signs and order they posted it states "no discharging any weapon within .6 mile of Reddington road"

Thanks Lance, it has been since the 2013 hunt that I have been up there.

Oneshot,

There probably aren't many hunters that hunt in 34a that know it better then you, I guess that's why I don't understand why you are so hung up on guys hunting it 150 yards off the road really who cares. the game and fish doesn't and when is the last time you talked to the leo of the forest service except when he or she was asking for directions to get out of the woods because they were lost even with a national forest map in the truck? In the last 40 years I have been checked less then 5 times we are talking over 1,000 days in the woods so why are you so worried if the law isn't?