willhunt4coues

New Custom Build Started

Not good at reviews??? That was probably one of best reviews I have read. Thanks. I probably should buy one before they all sell out.

Once again great job on that gun. Makes me want to go out and shoot mine

Brent

• Like 1

heck of a gun clay! I am too on the sightron club. Love my 32x siii. Great scope and will continue to buy them from now on. Like clay said, the moa2 reticle is hands down my favorite I have seen. My leupold vxiii LR 6x20x50 is nice but not like my sightron !

• Like 1

Lots of guys don't like the moa2 reticle and I just dont understand why. I cant stand the regular cross hair cross it drives me crazy. But to each his own.

Hi:

Truly a rifle system to be proud of. I do have a question.

Why chambered in 6.5 Creedmore and not 6.5 x .284 NORMA?

THX,

280REM

Cost more to reload the 6.5x284.

Cases are more.

You use more powder.

Barrel life is an issue but its not since it is easy to change out barrels.

I have been wanting a 6.5x284 BUT here is the break down. I have all the cases dies powder and bullets for the creedmoor but I do not have the Cases (about 200.00), Powder (about 200.00), primers and bullets i have, dies (easily 300.00 whidden), new annealing plate on my annealing machine (about 75.00) for the 6.5x284.

So you see it would cost me A LOT more money to load the 6.5x284 and really only gain 100 to 200 fps? I am getting 2800 fps with the cm. I will stick with the cm for now. Maybe later I will.

Guest 300ultramag.

Clay! this gun tho!!!!!

serious nice rig... lets hope Mr. bear presents himself in 2015 and this beauty gets to brave some trophy pics.. great write up as well

• Like 1

WH4C:

I fully understand. I justified the NORMA based upon a pile of 6.5 mm bullets in the garage and a smokin' deal on a VER LIGHTLY USED Savage Model 116 in a gun rack in a gun store in Tucson. That model is left-handed and no longer in the Savage catalog.

100 Lapua cases are on backorder(BO) with Midway @ $107 and bullets on BO with ER Brown. Current price for the brass is $127/100! Three of my Coues hunting buddies are shooting the same chambering and running the 140 grain Berger VLD. I plan to try the Nosler Accubond LR @ 129 grains with H4831SC.

So far, I only have the primers and powder for my handload development. Patience is indeed a virtue!

280REM

• Like 1

Just ordered my Sightron III FFP 6-24x50 from bearbasin. They are having a 5% sale off on Sightron scopes in stock.

Can't wait to get it mounted on Courtney's gun.

Thanks again for the review

Brent

• Like 1

That is a stud of a gun. I am blown away at how fast you put it together.

I am having Courtney's 264 win mag redone. Craig's Custom Rifles here in Tucson will put it together for me but that won't happen till the barrel comes in. I am looking to put a new scope on it and was looking at the one you used on this gun. Can you give us a quick review on the Sightron scope you are using? Does it have any type of turret stops?

Once again, great gun, great groups,

Brent

I found a thread on savage shooters for zero stop shims for Sightron and SWFA line of scopes. The guy making them is on snipers hide, everyone gave two thumbs up.

• Like 1

I just wish they would do a similar reticle to the MOA2 in the MRAD version.

Lance,

They do have one in the MRAD version just like the MOA version.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-First-Focal-Plane/SIIISS624X50LRFFP-MH/

Look at the technical page bottom left corner has the reticle. Just thought i would let you know.

• Like 1

Willhunt, great write up and killer rifle!

I have been a died in the wool nightforce guy and have been stashing cash for the new SFP "Enhanced" ATACR to put on my build that will be finished when I get home. I am very interested in how you would compare the optical clarity and light gathering ability of your sightrons vs the nightforces in the evening hours? Your writing has thrown me for a loop in my decision for glass. I have had nothing but the best like with NF stuff.

• Like 1

I never did test either or twards the end of light. From what I could tell during the day time the Valdada SMOKES all for clarity, nightforce and sightron just really could not tell a difference but that was mid morning. We did use my sightron last year at first light and I could see the deer in the scope as easy as my swarovski binos and it was VERY early. Best I could tell you to do is come up sometime before daylight and bring one of your nightforce scopes and lets test.:)

Like I have said the Valdada was probably the clearest and nicest scope I have ever looked though (comparing to nightforce, us optics, vortex, ect) and the best tracking. When I heard about sightron I thought there is no way this will be better than my 2000.00 valdada or even a nightforce but man was I wrong the clarity is not as good as valdada but I could not tell a difference in it and the nightforce. When I tested all of the scopes myself and seen the numbers the sightron won. So I sold sold sold all my top dollar scopes for the sightron and bout 2 for the price of 1 then with the other scope I sold I started my custom build. Oh ya and the sightron was so nice to take the extra 5 lbs off the rifle with the lightweight.

The sightron does not have the zero stop but I am not shooting PRS or in the military. Its very simple to keep track of the zero on the sightron. Like others have said you can probably get the shim system for it.