I drew a January hunt on the San Carlos for Unit D. I am not one to E Scout, but considering this is my first time hunting the Rez, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I am looking for any information anyone can provide. Good or Bad. If you prefer, PM's are a great way to not advertise your information. I have an idea of where I want to start, but considering I am unable to scout until 3 days prior I am hoping someone can help ease the learning curve. Someone who had done this before....

Thank you for anything anyone can provide!

• Like 1

It was made clear to me at the San Carlos office last week that a "companion" pass would be available in "D" next year (although I have heard this before). It was also made clear that said companion must be present with hunter at all times. The companion can not be on the other side of the ridge or mountain but must be with hunter at all times and should not be glassing which was referred to as "illegal guiding." The companion pass is completely for hunter safety since you are only allowed in unit D with a big game tag.

There is some beautiful and very remote country in D. Roads are rough but there is a lot of coues country.

Good luck and be safe!

• Like 1

The coues deer in Unit D are the smartest of all units on THA Rez. Good luck and get high and glass. Congrats.

• Like 1

Seems so odd they have a rule that you can have a hunting buddy along with you but they can’t glass. I understand the limiting of guys helping for sure but not allow the one person you can take to glass is crazy.  So when guys are guided is the guided hunter allowed to glass? 

To clarify, the Companion Pass allows the companion to glass as well as the other reasons, safety, etc. That's exactly why it was implemented. 

They cannot separate from the hunter while in the field and if they want/need they are allowed to wait at camp. Current regulation puts a limit at 2 per hunter but we changed it to up to 3 per hunter which will begin next August 1st.

Companion permit holders are not allowed to possess any other permits (small game, Lion, predator, etc).

Companion permits are available for all big game hunts in all units.

Also for those who aren't aware the Department now offers SxS permits to Nonmembers for Unit D Coues Hunts.

All permits are currently only available at the Department office in Peridot. Hours of operation are M-Sat 6am to 6pm, Sun 8am to 12pm.

DAN

• Like 2

Thanks Dan for the needed clarification.  That makes sense and probably a much better hunter experience overall with the limiting of helpers.