HuntHarder

Heading to Abaco Island

I am heading there for a week in May, and wanted to pick anyone's brain that has fly fished for bonefish. I have never fly fished before, but am going to take it up on this trip. I plan on buying an inexpensive take down fly rod and learning before I go. I am curious on what line I should be looking at and what lures I should pick up before I go down there?

Thanks for any input

• Like 1

Wow! Dream trip. I'm no expert fly fisherman but thinking you need a 6-7 wt. I'm sure you can get local tied flies there. Can't wait for the report. Good luck.

Get an 8 at rod with a sink tip line. Bonefish will RIP line out of your reel so be sure you buy one with a good drag system and a large arbor. PM me if you need some more help or advice.

• Like 4

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a few casting lessons before you go! Fishing for bonefish requires some accurate casting.

• Like 1

A good way to practice would be to chase golden bonefish(carp). Carp flyfishing is really fun and your skill will improve quickly because lots of targets. Precision casting is necessary and technique is similiar, though I've never chased actual bonefish. I know guys that are serious fly fisherman that say bonefish are very demanding and spooky. I'd definitely practice.

• Like 1

Fly fishing for Carp is the BEST way to practice for Bonefishing! Plus Carp on a fly are soooo much fun! If you live near Queen Creek I can help you with some casting lessons for free.

Adam

• Like 4

Thanks for the offers guys, I may end up taking a few of you up on them. To specify, this trip is a friends and family trip, so fishing is not the #1 reason for visiting. We already have a deep sea tuna trip scheduled, but our house is right on the water, so I think fly fishing for bonefish sounds like a serious challenge. I might even take a spinning rod/reel set up if it will help catch some fish.

Any one have a recommendation on a rod that will fit in my luggage?

As the people you are renting from if they can supply a rod and then just pack a reel or do a 1/2 day trip with a guide.

Excellent advise. I go very few places without a medium light spinning setup. Stradic 2500 and two spools, your good to go.

Good back up if the flyrod really frustrate you, which it will.

• Like 1

Oneshot- Why should I go barbless on the hooks? That is the frustrating part about Lee's ferry!! It takes about 100 hook sets to get 50 trout to the boat!.

We are already doing the deep sea tuna trip while there, but I know my A.D.D. will kick in just looking at the ocean from the house. I am sure there will be lots of pictures of me fishing with my neck hanging coozy on. I am getting excited about this trip now.

Hahahaha Sabiki rig was my fave Boner bait. That and litle chunks of Sardines. Not the worlds hardest fish to catch. But holy cow can they fFght! they make awesome grouper bait.

We were south of Abaco last Thanksgiving on Long Island. When we go back we will be bringing our own spinning gear, it was too windy for me to try and toss feathers. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

--Bill