DesertBull

Libs want to keep you in the dark

April 18, 2007

Please help us get this information into the hands of as many people as possible by forwarding it to your entire email list of family and friends.

U.S. House set to vote on “Grassroots Gag Order”

Contact your representative today to oppose H.R. 984

Dear Jeff,

Without a doubt, this could be the most important letter I have written you. I wrote to you in January about legislation in the U.S. Senate that could have silenced grassroots communication. Thankfully, the legislation was defeated after you and other concerned citizens let your voices be heard. Now, the U.S. House of Representatives is set to vote on the same issue.

The U.S. House is set to vote on H.R. 984, which would effectively keep AFA and every other pro-family organization in America from providing you information on bills in Congress. Under H.R. 984, we would only be able to provide you information on a bill at a high cost and at great danger of being penalized by Congress.

To put it bluntly, members of Congress are tired of getting your e-mails and phone calls, and H.R. 984 is designed to keep information from you that might inspire you to call or write your representative.

The new Democratic Senate thinks that if it can keep you from getting information - which is what H.R. 984 would do - then its members will not be getting e-mails and phone calls from you.

Representatives favoring this bill are simply tired of hearing from you. That is the bottom line. They don’t want to hear from you. They don’t want you to be informed. They want to silence you. How? By simply keeping you from receiving information that AFA provides.

I know that language is strong, but H.R. 984 will do exactly what I’ve said.

Take Action

1. Send an e-mail to your representative now!

2. Call your representative at 202-224-3121. Urge your representative to vote against H.R. 984. Tell him or her that you support the portions of this bill that call for more transparency and accountability from Congress. Tell him or her that you reject provisions which unnecessarily require burdensome regulations upon communications by individual constituents who are freely and voluntarily expressing their views on important issues to members of Congress and the Executive Branch.

3. Please forward this to your friends and family. It is vitally important that they know what members of the House are trying to do.

4. Print this information, and share it with members in your Sunday School class and church and urge them to send an e-mail and call.

Email Your Representative in Opposition to H.R. 984

H.R. 984 "The Executive Branch Reform Act of 2007"

Background:

The purpose of this bill is to reform operations of the executive branch by requiring that executive branch officials record any significant contacts during each quarter between themselves and any private party relating to an official government action. “Significant contact†is defined as oral or written communication (including electronic communication) that is made by a private party who is seeking to influence official action by any officer or employee of the execute branch of the United States. The only exception would be made for lobbying contacts as defined by the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995. A “private party†is defined as any person or entity, but does not include a federal, state, or local government official or a person representing such an official.

IMO this bill is aimed at having the Executive Branch, not Legislative Branch, keep a log of all contacts. Might help when emails just "disappear" as they recently have.

I believe that the Bush White House is guilty of using partisan political maneauver to manipulate both the legislature and the press to futher its own goals (everything from the invasion of Iraq, to Valerie Plame, to the Attorney Firings - there are probably half a dozen more things to list).

I would expect a President to use confidentiality and sneakiness to help the United States (see Theodore Roosevelt and his foreign policy). However the Bush administration has proven itself time and again to be completely inept at virtually all foreign policy decisions.

Its time that republicans pull their heads out of the sand and realize that the Bush administration is horrendous, and Bush is probably the worst thing to happen to America since Hoover.

Where are the Theodore Roosevelts, the Dwight Eisenhowers?

What does that have to do with this bill?

The bill is intended to force the White house into releasing information regarding the aformentioned events - currently they refuse to do so, and when forced they 'accidentally erase' millions of emails and forget conversations that pertain to their involvement.

http://oversight.house.gov/documents/20070...64005-21889.pdf

IMO, those should be two different issues. The part of the bill that will make it very difficult for your and I to communicate with our elected representatives is wrong. Handle the White house in a separate bill if need be.

Even the ultra-liberal ACLU has come out against this bill.

Desertbull,

I think I see what you are saying, but let me make sure.

-This bill would make it so that EVERY contact made by a politician and a private party (you, me, or a corporate fat cat) would have to be recorded....

Is that what you are talking about?

WOW.. that is eye opening... When you do a search on the actual bill you can read it word for word... it seems that it is a good bill because it holds the executive branch accountable... BUT if you look at these right wing pdfs( http://www.nrlc.org/FreeSpeech/MultiGroupL...oProtectGRL.pdf ) it is totally something different.. Maybe the current admin is pulling some strings behind he scenes...

J-