Sign in to follow this  
Dominant Buck

Can Someone Please Explain This To Me?

I just had a conversation with a hunter from Utah who basically called me and anyone else that uses radios during a hunt an unethical irresponsible cheater of a hunter. I had no idea this was illegal in other states until now and apparently this practice is looked down on by many hunters and organizations. How can it be legal/ethical to hunt with the aid radios here in AZ but not in some other states? I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Legal and ethical are completely different terms.... While it is technically legal in Az, some look down on it as not ethical. Everyone's ethics are different and to each their own. Life is too short to debate ethics on radios or no radios. Conversation is not worth the piss for the pissing match!!

• Like 7

Legal and ethical are completely different terms.... While it is technically legal in Az, some look down on it as not ethical. Everyone's ethics are different and to each their own. Life is too short to debate ethics on radios or no radios. Conversation is not worth the piss for the pissing match!!

+1

I dont use them myself but have known some guys who spot and stalked with the aid of a spotter and radios. The guys I knew still weren't exactly having an easy time at it, so can't really blame them for trying to figure out a way to be successful. After all, theres an entire hunting industry built around selling stuff thats supposed to make it easier to kill stuff, so why are radios taboo?

Boone and crockett considers the use of radios or other electronic communications devices to be a violation of fair chase. So using them to guide a hunter to his trophy would disqualify the kill from being entered in the recordbook. But it's legal in AZ to use radios.

For the purpose of entry into the Boone and Crockett Club’s® records, North American big game harvested by the use of the following methods or under the following conditions are ineligible:

I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the purpose of pursuit and shooting;
II. Herding or chasing with the aid of any motorized equipment;
III. Use of electronic communication devices to guide hunters to game, artificial lighting, electronic light intensifying devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-finding capabilities, thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information to the hunter;
IV. Confined by artificial barriers, including escape-proof fenced enclosures;
V. Transplanted for the purpose of commercial shooting;
VI. By the use of traps or pharmaceuticals;
VII. While swimming, helpless in deep snow, or helpless in any other natural or artificial medium;
VIII. On another hunter’s license;
IX. Not in full compliance with the game laws or regulations of the federal government or of any state, province, territory, or tribal council on reservations or tribal lands;

• Like 4

Iv'e used radios but not camera's . Everybody has their own way. So be it.You still gotta make the stalk and the shot.........BOB!

So it would be safe to say the reasoning for having radios outlawed in some state and organizations is because the use of such would not be considered fair chase. I guess I never really thought using radios gave me an unfair advantage especially when you got hunters shooting game out past 1000+ yards now days.

For the sake of argument give these two scenarios logic consideration and decide which of the two falls more into the realm of fair chase. Scenario one, a couple hunters spot an animal at 1000 yards after which one of the hunters radios the other to a distance where said animal now has a chance to detect the hunter whether it be by sight, smell or sound OR scenario two, same two hunters spot an animal at 1000 yards but instead of radioing in closer one of the hunters shoots the animal from their current location out of the animals detection zone. So if you had to honestly choose one of these scenarios which one would you consider being closest to fair chase?

As far as I know there are no current regulations or restrictions when it comes to shot distance whether it be state law or otherwise while the use of radios are. I have a very hard time seeing how the use of radios are being considered by many to not be in the territory of fair chase.

When my Dad was alive, we had radios so that we could check on each other occasionally. He would radio me at dark to ask when I would be back to camp to make dinner. ;)

• Like 2

Who gave B&c the authority to dictate fair chase? Personally I'm getting sick and tired of their horse &@&$.

• Like 4

Does b+c investigate every hunt when a record book animal is taken, or is it the honor system questionnaire?

Ironic that the The people that are preaching about fair chase have a record book and scoring system that has been the motivation for many animals being poached for sake of recognition and pride. How about we ban the possession of tape measures in the field?

• Like 1

Does b+c investigate every hunt when a record book animal is taken, or is it the honor system questionnaire?

You have to sign an affidavit stating that you followed the rules.