Just bought a place in NM. and will be scouting places to hunt elk and deer. I will be moving this summer. I've hunted my whole life in Arizona, and Colorado. Looking foreward to scouting out new areas. I will be living in Pie Town. Is it as hard to draw a resident archery elk tag in NM as it is in AZ? If so I guess I'll have plenty of time to scout. Saw some nice mule deer neer Quamado, but need to find out where Public land hunts are available.

I have been to Quamado a couple of times but it was several years ago. I did see some nice muley's though.

Good luck with the move.

Yea! I can't wait till this summer. I'll be really busy with the move, but I'm sure going to do some looking for some hunting locations. I have elk and antlope visiting the property all the time. I got 12.5 acres and I'm going to make sure there is plenty of water for the wildlife. I'll probably keep putting in for unit 16. I have put in for that unit several times without ever being drawn. Maybe when I become a resident it will be easier.

congratulations on your new place and making the move. Elk visiting your land... Pie town?

Sounds like a dream place

congratulations on your new place and making the move. Elk visiting your land... Pie town?

Sounds like a dream place

It sure is. I spent a lot of time up there last summer putting in my water system and building a barn. I'll be moving at the end of may or first part of june. My place is almost right on the Continental Divide, at about 7,600 ft.

What sub-division are you going to be living in? Are you familiar with the Quien Sabe Ranch or Whispering Pines?

It's at Elk Ridge. about 6 miles north of HWY 60 on road 603. I haven't heard of either. But I'm new to the area. I've met a few of the ranchers around the area. They are a good bunch of people.

How do you go about getting a landowner permit?

from what I understand it used to be pretty easy but it is harder now days. I am looking into it though.

If you guys are serious I have some friends in the area that usually get tags... THEY ARE HIGH DOLLAR... I have hunted 13 a few times for elk... There are very few elk but tons of deer... BUT the elk in 13 are big...

Apply as a non resident and your odds go way up if its outfitted.

Only state around that NR's have a better chance than residents.....

Welcome aboard.

I've applied a couple of times as a NR and haven't been succesful, but I didn't put in with an outfitter. I have a bull tag this year in Arizona, finally. I guess I'll start over next year in arizona with out of state apps. and apply in NM as a Resident. Some of the ranchers around my place have landowner tags, but they are too expensive for my pocketbook. I'll just keep taking my chances. I think I'll try a Wyoming antelope hunt next year. Since I have never hunted them. I have 16 points in AZ. Next year I'll be a NR maybe now that it will cost me more I might get lucky.

If you still will apply in AZ after you move to NM, have you considered buying a lifetime license? That way you do not have to buy a NR license every year just to apply, and you will be considered as a resident in the draw, but still would pay NR fees for the permit.