Sign in to follow this  
sayala

Unit 30B

I hunted this unit last year in the Dragoons and seen deer everyday but no bucks. Now I know of three bucks that were taken out of there but i wasn't one of the lucky ones. I was wondering if anyone has hunted the Mule Mtn range and if it holds any more deer in there than the Dragoons. I thought about scouting that Mtn. range this year but was curios to know if anyone has any info on it?

Thanks

sayala

The mule mountains are a good spot. I would have to say that unit is a hard one to fill a tag in right now. It is going to get better in the future I hope. I would say it has been hunted hard and shot out very bad. I have some spots in there right now that I have been watching the last couple of years. It is on the mend. I would like to see them close that unit for a couple of years and let it go through a rehab. I lived in St David all my life and was in unit 30B all the time. The dragoons still hold some nice couse bucks but they are not seen as often as they used to be. I am hoping that my bucks I have seen make it to pass on there seed . If you can let them small ones keep getting big down there. The problem is to many guys come and shoot all the small dumb bucks that are still drinking milk off there mommy. Then are less bucks in the area,

I did not mean to get off on a tangent there. The mules and dragoons are a good choice but a hard hunt.

Last year three friends obtained left over tags in the unit. All three shot, one tagged a smaller 2 pt (in the mule mtns).

I went with one friend for two days, we saw about 10 deer, two bucks that we could never get one. We walked around a bit checking out the area. I would actully like to hunt the area someday. We found a spot about 4 ridges (about 6 miles) back off the main highway to Bisbee that was prestine. The walk was tough and you could never get there in time if you left in the morning with a flashlight, it took about 2-3 hours. I would love to be there at sunup.

On the last day of the hunt, my friend (i was not with) missed what he called Mr. Big. There were 6 bucks sparring in a circle. He setup to shoot when the guy he was with said "oh that is a big deer" then the friend began to shake and the rest was history. They saw these bucks one ridge over from the highway. There is a mountain range with a coral and H20 tank at the base. We parked about 1 mile down from the turn off that goes to Douglas (i think its Douglas its about 12 miles from Bisbee).

Thats all if know. Andy

I've hunted the Dragoons for years, there are some nice bucks in there. Hard to find but the big ones are around. The problem we have is the ranchers who think they own the land but only have grazing rights. We actually had one come into camp and wanted to see the tags / hunting liscense's for the deer we had hanging. That was back in the 80's. I think he was the same one who has been butting heads with the feds over his cattle lately. Got a little of track there... the bucks are there, just have to find them.

You got that right stay away from the klumps for sure.

I drew 4 of the 60 left over tags for my freinds and I. We've never been in the dragoons yet but from all the topo's I purchased it looks like good country. There has to be a couple of shooters in there somewhere.

I've always discovered that with some patients and a good set of optics you will always find one no matter how crappy the terrain looks. If not leave em alone they'll spread and so will they're racks.

Are the numbered forest roads currently accesible around the town of Dragoon? Or is it a private property surrounded range?