Sign in to follow this  
Guest 300ultramag.

Follow up or Not?

If they're still standing or breathing I'm still shooting. I was able to get two quick, fatal arrows in my bull last year and he went less than 100 yards and the tracking/recovery was extremely quick and easy.

• Like 2

I don't think that there is a lot of risk in a follow up archery shot. As long as it is a quality shot, and not rushed too much. But it's not likely to cause an animal to run into the next county. I do agree every situation is different, but if it is still standing, nock on.

Sling lead 'till they're dead. I hate watching an animal die. Id rather keep hittin' em till they're done. I had to shoot an archery bull 4 times a few years ago. All the shots were in the boiler room. First one, perfect double lunger pass through. Killed him 3 hours and almost a mile later. Would not have got him if i didn't follow up. This is the reason i won't shoot a montec ever again

• Like 2

Sling lead 'till they're dead. I hate watching an animal die. Id rather keep hittin' em till they're done. I had to shoot an archery bull 4 times a few years ago. All the shots were in the boiler room. First one, perfect double lunger pass through. Killed him 3 hours and almost a mile later. Would not have got him if i didn't follow up. This is the reason i won't shoot a montec ever again

My first two deer I refer to as 'pin cushions'. At three arrows each, I also shoot til they drop. Arrows are cheap compared to a lost animal or a long arduous tracking job.

Guest akaspecials

I would take the follow up assuming the first shot was good. One of the main reasons is a moose I killed this year. I had a shot I thought was perfect, but I forgot to take into account an incline, so I took out one lung and nicked the other instead of getting the double lunger I thought I had. My follow up shot was well placed in his femoral as he turned around. I could have spent a few days tracking him, but that follow up made him expire almost instantly.

If it was a bad shot to start with, I don't think I'd fling another cause conditions are less than ideal and you may just put him through needless suffering and never recover him. Those animals can handle a lot if that wound doesn't get infected.

And with guns I'm from the school of shoot till they stop moving (but don't mess up the blackstrap). Luckily my gun kills have been one shot, one kill with no meat damage. I even avoid the shoulder for that reason.

if you don't follow up, you might hafta follow down. down into a deep, dark, stinkin' canyon a mile or so. Lark.

I my uncle made a good shot once through one lung and watched pile up. Could of made an easy second shot right before it piled up but didn't. Gave it some time and walked over there found a big blood pile blood and no deer. Once it stopped bleeding it ran off and there wasn't one drop of blood to track. Make the second shot if you got it.

i got this bighorn in my avatar when i was a kid. the hunt was filmed for a show on the outdoor channel. the vid looks all chopped up though since i put the first shot right in the spot and he is about to go down and the dude is telling me "nice shot" as i jacked another shell and shot him again ha. they edited it so it only showed the second shot and the ram is standing there looking all jacked up lol.

Montec's suck! Just had to throw that out there ;)

• Like 1

There's no reason NOT to take a follow up shot if presented. I was able to get a second arrow in my bull last year, albeit it wasn't great placement but it provided a second blood source for tracking and maybe slowed him down more than the first hit would have. 2 holes are always better than 1! JIM>

• Like 1

I will say tho, when I was younger I lost a bull that I had already stuck once because I "tried" to get a second arrow in him. Had I stayed put and not tried stalking that bull he likely would have died where he stopped but I pushed him and he stopped bleeding. He didn't go very far from where I pushed him but I couldn't track him up. We later found where he ended up and all that was left was my initial arrow and the boned out carcass. Sucked but at least somebody found him fresh enough and took him. Not sure if they shot him again or not but my arrow was a fatal hit.

So, what I learned after that and my advice would be to always keep shooting if you have the ability to do so without just scaring the animal off. Each scenario will be different just use good judgement.

• Like 1

As hunters, we owe it to our animals to not prolong their pain, no matter whether we use a rifle, bow, muzzleloader or pistol.

Bill Quimby

• Like 3

Had friend in Colo cut his hand wide open gutting an elk that had a broadhead still in him. He was rifle hunting. Arrow was a good shot too. They are a lot tougher than we think sometimes. TAKE THE SECOND SHOT and ease his pain.