Flatlander

Women's Cartridge

So now that I know my better half will be chasing elk this fall I hve to start thinking about what rifle she is going to use. Last time she shot a 700 bdl 25-06 and did fine. Other options this time are to brake my 300, which I have been looking for an excuse to do anyway, use my 270, or pick up something new. I was thinking a 7mm-08 sounded nice as I have boys who will be hunting age soon, maybe a .257 with by but that may be a little much.

What have you guys had goo luck with?

• Like 1

Check out the 6.5-284 Norma. Hardly any recoil and shoots the 140 bergers with some serious accuracy and knock down power. Fun caliber.

• Like 2

My very petite 12 year old daughter shot her bull in 2014 with my .300RUM w. a brake. No sweat. I did not let her shoot it prior to the hunt for fear of becoming recoil shy. After the shot, I asked her how it was. She said fine, but her ears were really ringing.

She was prepared to shoot my .270Win w. a brake as well, that my older daughter used when she was 11 years old. Also very petite.

Both of my girls have been shooting my .25-06 Ackley (no brake) since about 8 years of age with no issues.

And my new 6.5 SLR w. brake is amazing to shoot. Seriously, recoils barely more than my .223.

Im a 6.5 fan BIG time.

but you mentioned the 7/08

I think that coupled with 140 grain barnes ttsx's would be a perfect elk.....shoot! anything for that matter combo.

My 10 year old 70 pound daughter shot her elk this year with a 7mm-08 and loves that rifle! My wife shoots my 7mag with a brake and won't shoot any of my other rifles since I had a brake put on the 7mag. She is a small gal also.

My daughter shoots a 700 Remington youth rifle in 7-08 with 120 TTSX Barnes.Her last bull was at slightly over 225 yards. Bullet passed thru both shoulders and out the off shoulder. Bull dropped on the spot. While I normally carry a .338 or a 300 WSM I'm impressed with this cartridge . No kick, 3000 fps with a 120 gr bullet and it shoots flat.

270 will be fine. Not much difference between that and a 7mm-08. With the edge going to the 7mm-08. Just ask Lark

My 12 and 16 yo girls and wife shoot my 270 WSM BAR with no issues at all.

Several mentions of brakes.

while they are great with hearing protection, i dont wear hearing protection while hunting.

for that reason i dont much care for brakes.

• Like 5

My wife killed a bull in 22 with a 270wsm

Can't go wrong with the 300! We have two that have a break. Have a safe full of guns .30 cal and 20. We seem to always find ourself using our 300s the have all the knock down power and have the flatest trajectory for them long range shots if needed and hold energy. Oh and by the wa flatland you asked if everyone could give you feed back from the elk and antelope results based on your percentages and you told me I would draw a tag. I did! Excited to see what it is. I had 5BP Resident one applicant and my choices were 6a archery rut and 22N late rifle bull