PhxDT

Knife for field dressing an elk

I heard from a friend of mine that one of his hunting buddies had a super sharp knife that was used specifically for field dressing animals- it was crazy sharp that used replaceable blades.

Any ideas what this is? Thinking what a long process it is, especially with an elk. Hoping for the opportunity to test out new gear this year, haha.

Brilliant, thanks fellas!

I skin and quarter a lot if animals every year and I have tried all kinds of knives trying to find the right one. Several years ago while walking through Home Depot I found this dual sided utility knife and thought I would give it a try. The blades are thick and very inexpensive. I thought if I lost it I wouldn't be out much. I use it all the time and just carry a few extra blades. You can find the dual sided utility knife at Home Depot for about five bucks. I buy the thicker shingle hook blades. I still use the Havalon for skinning out the face. David

post-561-0-57151800-1427513860.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, interesting. Do the blades rival the Havalon or the Outdoor Edge?

I'm about to go the Havalon route as well. But that utility knife idea is intriguing.

I used a havalon last year to quarter and bone out two elk, three coues and an antelope. It was the only knife I used the whole time. Great knife.

• Like 1

I got a havalon from cwt and loved it. I missed placed it last year and was going crazy looking for it so I bought another. A month or so ago I was boxing up some fanny packs to donate for a youth hunting club in New Mexico and wouldn't you know. :D Now I'm the proud owner of two. I haven't tried the outdoor edge but I hear they are just as good.

Cwt has them in the store so why not buy and support this awesome site. You will love'em. :)

TJ

I've used both two years ago we used the havalon on two elk and a deer in colorado it is a great knife very sharp and it did the job no problem only thing that I didn't like was changing the blade kinda a pain in the butt when your covered in blood this past season I got the outdoor edge and same thing we got two elk and a deer it worked flawlessly but one advantage was changing a blade was quik and easy so I would probily go with outdoor edge

I agree....changing blades pain. That's the problem with a really sharp blade... the shaper it is...the quicker it dulls..... I still stick with a knife with a good sharpener nearby.

• Like 1

A small par of channel locks or vice grips makes changing blades a lot easier and safer. Sucks to carry the extra weight but they can be helpful with other things as well.