PhxDT

Knife for field dressing an elk

I use both, but I prefer the Outdoor edge due to easy blade replacement. I carry a small sergical forceps to change the Havalon blade. The forceps are very light and easy to use.

• Like 1

while I do love and often use the havalon, I prefer a solid, about 4" fixed blade. the past several years I have used a Charles May and I absolutely love it. It takes a razor sharp edge and keeps it and is plenty to hold on to. I prefer the fixed knife for gutting and field work but skinning and caping I prefer the Havalon.

Never used a Havalon or outdoor edge, I hope to this season on an Elk. I have great Benchmade that you can shave with and it's worked for many animals.

They all work, I find myself sharpening my Havelon knifes as often as my other blades. Couple licks with a very small ceramic and it's back to shaving sharp with any of them. Personally, I believe the replacement blades dull quicker than most, they do however sharpen VERY quickly.

I bought a hundred replacement blades for my Havalon on ebay for a few bucks...if I even THINK a blade is getting dull, shuck it and go.

• Like 1

I've only used four knives to field dress and skin more animals than I care to remember. All were folders. The two made by Buck and Browning had similar shapes and blades, except the Browning had a second blade that was a saw I used for splitting a pelvis until it got dull and there was no way to sharpen it. The others were made by Schrade and Case. Neither had locking blades. The Case was a two-blade "Stockman's" style. All did great on animals up to the size of moose, although the Buck and Browning were difficult to sharpen. All of my knives, including a bunch of pocket and sheath knives I acquired over the years and never used on game, were stolen when our home was burglarized. --- Bill Quimby

I bought a hundred replacement blades for my Havalon on ebay for a few bucks...if I even THINK a blade is getting dull, shuck it and go.

Is there a trick to this to ensure you get the real thing? Sounds like a great idea.

My absolute favorite skinning/gutting blades are the havalon,

e7ea0i.jpg

Buck 679:its cheap, stainless, great grip, comfortable shape, sharpens easily.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I use this sharpener cuz its light and quick. Smith-s-Sharpener-JIFF-S-rw-37950-27910.

Is there a trick to this to ensure you get the real thing? Sounds like a great idea.

Nope, no trick that I know of... Here's a quick link for ya.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=havalon+blades+100&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xhavalon+blades+100&sqp=havalon+blades+100

• Like 1

I use the Havlon for everything anymore. Blade changing is not that difficult, and blades are cheap. The blades are cheap, about a quarter each, when bought on eBay. The outdoorsman knife is also nice, but I have not used it.

A small par of channel locks or vice grips makes changing blades a lot easier and safer. Sucks to carry the extra weight but they can be helpful with other things as well.

I thought that at first at well. Was pretty intimidated at changing the blades in fear or knicking myself pretty bad. But check out some videos on changing them. Some pretty interesting idea. I keep a "collar stay" in my knife holster. It helps press against the blade instead of using your thumb and pops off easily. I'm going to assume most people carry a multi tool while hunting as well? That would work too

• Like 1