Jay Scott

2015 California Spring Turkey Hunt Opening Day

As I sit here and write this blog post I cant help but think about the upcoming elk season this fall with the Arizona Elk and Antelope draw due to come out soon.  Credit cards have already been hit and most people know that at least they have drawn a coveted tag.  The question that most are wondering is whether they drew their first or second choice.  I thought I was guiding a hunter in Unit 9 for the archery hunt but my hunter had his plans change so my September plan is still in limbo.  The anticipation for the upcoming season is always high!  Especially with some of the timely storms that have fallen in the last couple of months.  Even though winter was mild, us optimists are hoping that mild winter with early and late spring rains will produce better antlers than last year.  Only time will tell to see how it shakes out.

I had an awesome time with my nephews, Will and Jay Pyburn, this weekend for the spring turkey hunt opener in California.  We drove roughly 600 miles to have our hunt last about 10 minutes.  We had gobblers roosted and four of them flew down and came right to our Dave Smith Decoys.  They actually knocked the DSD Jake and Strutter over and had their way with the hen decoys.  Watch the video in this post to see the action unfold.  We had a very special time as always with our gracious hosts and friends Craig and Ronell Ainley.  They are actually coming to hunt Gould's turkeys with me in Mexico in May this season.  We are all really looking forward to that.

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B1.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B2.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B3.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B4.5.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B4.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B5.JPG

Spring%2BTurkey%2BHunting%2Bin%2BCalifornia%2Bwith%2BJay%2BScott%2BOutdoors%2Band%2BWill%2Band%2BJay%2BPyburn%2Bwith%2BDSD%2BDecoys%2Band%2BCabelas%2BSpring%2BThunder%2B6.JPG

I found a turkey mouth call that I really like from Pollard's Elite Calls called the Original Pollard Batwing.  It is real easy to use and makes me sound better than normal.

Pollards%2BOriginal%2BBatwing.JPG
 Check out the video of the boys hunt in California!

View the full article

• Like 3

Nice. I'll be in Northern cal in a few weeks to work. Plan to hunt pigs and turkeys while there.

The pictures have renewed my excitement.