Adicted

Can you help me work on my Wood?

HAHAHA...I knew some of you would click on the topic just cause your mind is in the gutter...

Anyways I picked up this big slab of wood in Heber last year and am going put it on a table out on my patio. I am having problems not just finding the material but also the knowlege of doing this. I want to fill in the holes with hardener. I was told from the guys who I bought it from thats its a 2 part epoxy stuff and you can fill these in. I then just want to stain it and put a clear finish on it. Those two things are easy. I'm looking for someone who can help me fill these holes in that has some experience or maybe even the stuff to do it. Let me kow.

post-9454-0-05325400-1427818273_thumb.jpg

post-9454-0-60913100-1427818292_thumb.jpg

Not an expert but i think a good wood filler putty would do it. It hardens (excuse the expression) and I have used it on other wood projects. It will also hold the stain as well. Don't know if an epoxy will do that.

And yes ..my first thought was...stay away from this topic

Why not stain it and put a piece of glass on it?

• Like 1

Why not stain it and put a piece of glass on it?

We use it out back and its replacing a table that we broke. We have a human size Jenga game made with 2x4's so when it falls it will just brake the glass....the last one broke a 1 inch thick flagstone table after so many falls....

• Like 2

Woodworkers source on i17 between bell and union hills in phx will have what you need and they are top of the line with all things woodworking. Home depot also has clear epoxy you can use. You will need to mount something underneath to hold the material then mix and pour it in. You can sand it level then re ally top coat to get clear finish again . then I would laqure the whole deal all sides.

I seen a similar table top and the guy used some type of colored epoxy to make the holes look filled with amber.... was years ago and do not know how he did it but the finished product was pretty impressive ! good luck

• Like 1

Mix the epoxy with coffee grounds to match the knots in the wood. Comes out looking completely natural. Give Porter Barn Wood a call and i'm sure they would walk you through the process. They turn out some amazing pieces.

fiber glass the bottom first then fill it with whatever epoxy you like. The fiber glass keeps it from splitting and also keeps the epoxy from leaking out while it dries.

This. Filling those with clear epoxy is what I would look into. That is natures art.

Fiber resin is what to use to fill the holes. You can use it to just fill or finish the whole top. On a alligater juniper top like that I would just fill the voids with the resin, sand all the saw marks and sharp edges out then apply a clear poly finish followed by at least a dozen coats of finishing wax

the feller up at the grays peak highway yard makes a lot of tables and other furniture like this. he uses epoxy and puts different things in the epoxy. saw one the other day he made that had pieces of indian pottery in clear epoxy. looked really sharp. you can use arrow heads, peices of torqouise, coral, etc. anything that looks neat. you could even put different styles of brass and ammo or bullets in the epoxy. the epoxy will polish up to where it is real clear. i cut down a big dead black walnut off our place a couple years ago and plan on making a giant dining room table out of it. got it all slabbed out drying now. if there any cracks that develop i'll fill them with epoxy and different things like mentioned. Lark.

Epoxy is the way to go. Get it at home depot. Woodworker source will charge 4 times more. For knot holes we use mulch and super glue. Accepts finish real nice. I like Larks advice about putting stuff in the epoxy.

I make mesquite tops all the time. Use a 2 part epoxy and get black (or whatever color) coloring and add a few drops to the wet epoxy. Any wood working shop will have these items