gmcbob

Suggestions for AZ Campgrounds

I am looking for advise and suggestions for Arizona campgrounds for the summer for my family. My thought is to take a 10 day road trip through northern AZ in the summer with our travel trailer. Hit three or four or five sites, and stay a day or two at each.

My goals are great fishing, pretty scenery, and most important, seeing some AZ sites (small kid accessible, no hiking). Full hookups would be nice, but not a priority. Something with reservations would be comforting.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• Like 1

full hook ups?.... do you mean a hotel, or camping? just kidding. Sorry, try to steer clear of people when I go out to the forest.

My lead likes Lo Lo Mai (near Sedona). he's got a toy hauler and can get it there. So depending how big ya got, shouldn't be too much of a problem,

http://lolomai.com/

Have you looked into the KOA's up there?

Traveling especially with kids for 10 days full hookups are great even if it is every few days so you can dump your tanks and recharge the batteries.

• Like 2

Traveling especially with kids for 10 days full hookups are great even if it is every few days so you can dump your tanks and recharge the batteries.

Spot on. Plus being able to reserve and knowing exactly where you'll be is nice with kids.

Not technically northern AZ, but some places in white mtns, rim, and Flag area that we've taken our trailer with the kids and enjoyed...Winn Campground (no fishing right there but Big Lake and several others close and not as crowded as Big Lake...no hookups or dump station though), Black Canyon Lake (no reservations or hookups but can dump for free in Payson), Woods Canyon Lake (several in that area that fill up fast and limited reservations), Fool Hollow Lake (full hookups including sewer at each site and a nice lake...one of our favorites), Fort Tuthill outside Flag (Air Force campground there if you have access, or the county campground there is nice too...next to Flagstaff Extreme ropes course which our kids love)

Dead Horse Ranch in Cottonwood is a nice campground too with decent fishing.

If you do not mind driving and want to be close to many lakes with great wilderness areas I prefer the White Mountain myself, and Hoyer campground... You will be walking or biking distance to the Greer Lakes , with in 15 mins to 1 1/2 hours you can visit from all 3 Greer lakes, little Colorado (sheep's crossing) Lee Valley, Crescent, Big Lake, (On the Res with tribal permit Sunrise and Reservation), Black River down to Alpine and the Blue .... There is so much to see up there that 10 days in a very good camp ground will not seem like enough ... granted there are many surrounding campgrounds that are not bad ( someone mentioned Winn) but Rainbow at Big lake is great too ... If it were me I would not try to cover all the North in 10 days , pick an area and make the most of it ... and next time pick another like Flag up to The Kaibab and Canyon, but that is just my opinion.... Good luck, Have fun, and be safe

I'll second White Mountains. Best fishing in AZ.

If you do not mind driving and want to be close to many lakes with great wilderness areas I prefer the White Mountain myself, and Hoyer campground... You will be walking or biking distance to the Greer Lakes , with in 15 mins to 1 1/2 hours you can visit from all 3 Greer lakes, little Colorado (sheep's crossing) Lee Valley, Crescent, Big Lake, (On the Res with tribal permit Sunrise and Reservation), Black River down to Alpine and the Blue .... There is so much to see up there that 10 days in a very good camp ground will not seem like enough ... granted there are many surrounding campgrounds that are not bad ( someone mentioned Winn) but Rainbow at Big lake is great too ... If it were me I would not try to cover all the North in 10 days , pick an area and make the most of it ... and next time pick another like Flag up to The Kaibab and Canyon, but that is just my opinion.... Good luck, Have fun, and be safe

+1 all the areas around Greer/ big lake are amazing