Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

25-06 ???? Best all around bullet

I know these questions get a little bit chevy and fords, but I want to work up one all around load for a 25-06 I resently aquired. Initially I was thinking of loading a lighter bullet shooting really fast for coyotes, but really like the idea of one load for anything we decide to hunt with it......

With that being said, what would the experts recommend?????? Coyote, deer, Antelope, and pigs would be the intended game

Thanks in advance

I load 117 gr sst and every gun 6 different ones have loved them I would say they would put all intended game down

I would go with the loads that came with the rifle (110 AB). They are pretty dang sweet!! :)

I'll bet you end up back in the same place. Hard to beat for all around general purpose, and they won't demolish your hides like the SST's will.

Load it up as a deer round, and use it on coyotes!

115 Berger VLD. Works wonders on everything I have used it on. Bunnies, coyotes, javelina, and large bodied mule deer. It would put a whooping on an antelope too, if I could EVER get drawn! Rings steel out past 1300 for me really well too. Flies like it is on a wire.

Lance,

I feel like I am alone on an island here but I was NOT pleased with the 115 VLD in my 257 wby. Granted, I only killed one deer and one bobcat, but I was NOT impressed with the deer. I shot this buck at 572 yards. He reacted will to the hit, it was very obvious that he was instantly sick. He did not go more than 10-15 yards, but the issue was he lived for an honest 25+ minutes. The exact time escapes me as this was several years ago, but I think it was 32 minutes to be exact. My hunting buddy and I expected to walk up to a gut shot deer, but here is the bullet placement. Not a dot shot, but a pretty damnn good shot none the less. There was no exit (like designed), but also no blood anywhere besides in the deer.

Ill have to post the picture later, photobucket is not wanting to work.

I have no doubt as to your story validity. Animals are tough. Some keel right over or drop like a sack of hammers, some run for 100 yards and pile up, some run off with fatal shots never to be found, some survive a shot that should be a mortal one. Some bleed like a fountain, some don't spill a drop.

Bullets do not work 100% of the time, no matter WHAT Brand/design. I have seen Barnes from the same lot and loaded by the same person and used in the same gun, where 3 worked perfectly on elk over 3 years. The fourth one did not open and penciled through.

I have seen Partitions explode on game and not penetrate. I have seen varmint bullets drop big game like a lightning bolt. I have seen, personally, match target bullets perform flawlessly on game, DRT.

My deer last year, hit with a .257 HVLD, went a total of 10' and left a blood trail a blind person could follow. I have heard stories like yours too.

Anything can happen in the field. Bust you just have to play the odds. For every story where a bullet didn't work right, there are hundreds where they did.

• Like 1

I'm with lance. 115 berger is the best there is. By far the best ballistics of any 25 cal bullet made and awesome terminal performance. Prairie dogs to elk the 25-06 and the 115 berger got you covered.

• Like 1

My 257 weatherby loves 117 gr Hornady BTSPs. I have just started working with 115gr Berger VLDs and they show a lot of promise. 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips shot well too but I couldn't get my groups as tight as the Hornady or even my initial loads of the Bergers.

Lance,

I feel like I am alone on an island here but I was NOT pleased with the 115 VLD in my 257 wby. Granted, I only killed one deer and one bobcat, but I was NOT impressed with the deer. I shot this buck at 572 yards. He reacted will to the hit, it was very obvious that he was instantly sick. He did not go more than 10-15 yards, but the issue was he lived for an honest 25+ minutes. The exact time escapes me as this was several years ago, but I think it was 32 minutes to be exact. My hunting buddy and I expected to walk up to a gut shot deer, but here is the bullet placement. Not a dot shot, but a pretty damnn good shot none the less. There was no exit (like designed), but also no blood anywhere besides in the deer.

Ill have to post the picture later, photobucket is not wanting to work.

I'm with ya, but Lance and Stomp can probably load that bullet backwards and still get it to group a 1/2 inch at 400 yards and hit plate at 800. When it comes to load and bullets they got it!