Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Arizona Unit 1 Early Archery – Getting Warmer?

Hi all,

Following the suggestion of a few wise & helpful friends I'm submitting my first post to this site. Have enjoyed reading many threads already.

I have high hopes of seeing the word "successful" when viewing the upcoming draw results (my card was hit and Unit 1 was my only choice).

This will be my one and only hunt in Arizona. While my primary objective is to enjoy the wilderness & experience some good rut activity, I am hopeful my 15 years of patience will provide an opportunity to encounter a mature bull during 2 weeks of hard hunting (350 class).

From my research to date, the area south & west of Big Lake seems to be the leading candidate to call home for a couple weeks. Not looking for anyone's honey hole from years of experience, rather generalities as to elk population, recent changes that could impact this fall (continued Wallow fire growth/recovery, impact of tag quantity changes, hunting pressure, access, etc.)

Would very much appreciate any feedback as to my current line of thinking (i.e. am I getting warmer?)

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Feel free to PM me.

Hope to be able to return the favor by sharing the results of my experience and perhaps meeting you in camp this fall.

Best of luck in the draw.

Congratulations on drawing one of the most difficult to draw tags in our state.

You are correct that the Wallow Fire brought major changes in Unit One's elk distribution. Elk can be found all over the unit, but south and west of Big Lake is a good place to start your search.

As a non-resident with limited time to learn the unit, you may want to consider hiring a guide.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

Guide- you can spend 1k in gas alone looking for areas. Life's short spend the coin and enjoy the hunt. Even with a guide its no lay up. But with a guid you could leave the state with a true trophy... It could be your only bull hunt in unit 1 Ever as a non. I wouldn't use a guide because I'm in state and would enjoy the scouting with family. A non res is a tough tag to draw

Agree with utilizing a guide if not able to put some boots on the ground prior to hunt. Sponsors on this site are guides. Best of luck to you. Primo Tag for sure!

My card was also hit and this is my first choice as well. Anxiously waiting to see the results. I think the area you have selected will be just as good as any other in that unit. I think you could close your eyes and point to a spot on a map of unit 1 and it would most likely be a good spot.

Desert bull on this site has a scouting an map service. I've found his maps provide some good place to at least get started and then your own boots on the ground can dial you in after that. Not sure if he works on unit one but a service like that can be an inexpensive way to get some starting points

No Guides. Its so easy to say "hire a guide". However this guy in Indiana is an exception. If you live more than two states away then it is understandable. BUT these days, way too many locals and folks in neighboring states who can do their own scouting choose not to. They take the easy given advise that "you must hire a guide" with such an awesome tag. This is a relatively new 'mentality' in the last couple decades, that antlers on the wall are more important than being a man and hunting a bull elk on your own...for the great experience.. success or not. (Talking to locals here)

I know this site is crawlin with guides and friends of guides and I will be told to kiss everyone's you know what. BUT there is a NEW MOVEMENT out there that people are talking about. Its all about getting back to the pride of the hunt and the great sense of accomplishment that you tried on your own (with friends maybe). But to hire a guide is no way to achieve honest bragging rights on the bull that you were shown and told to shoot.

Locals hunters.... Man up Movement. Do-it-yourself hunting stories are stories that your friends will respect you for.... not the other type.

• Like 8

DaveElk... pm me and I will give you some good info in unit 1. Hire a guide if you want. I get it and I don't know you. Being in Indiana is a long way away. BUT if you don't hire one... let me know and I will give you some 'free' information that you can use to get yourself started. Elk aren't that hard. I want you to be successful and be able to tell your family about the way you conquered the beast... on you own! It feel so much better than being told what to do and when to do it. There's a ton of self-satisfaction to be had with an AZ elk hunt! Its your choice.

• Like 2

Trade you info on unit 1 for info on whitetails in Indiana. I am in the unit at least once a week.

• Like 1

DavElk- idgaf is offering a great proposal. I'd take him up on it. That's the way is used to work! Trade info to help each other out. Doing it for free...not paying a huge fee... and doing it yourself

• Like 3

Last year the bulls did not really get active till the last week (although the first day was good and then they shut up). I went back to find my cell phone 2 weeks after the hunt and just about had a bull come run me over. Almost the whole unit is great. The area up around Mexican Hay Lake had people crawling all over it -- so anywhere with good black top access close to towns is in not the best place to look. Bugling did not work and ran the bulls off after the first day and was only helpful before or after daylight. Hoochie Mommas are too loud and have to be modified to be quieter. There are the tidbits I learned from last years hunt. After the first week or so many of the guides fill their clients tags. I had a guy that had the muzzleloader tag after our bowhunt and he picked up a guide on a daily rate for $300/day for a total of 1 day -- it was the best money he ever spent as he was not good at calling and sure needed the expertise to get it out -- he got a nice 340" bull.

• Like 1

The guy was just looking for some advice on hunting unit 1, not what it takes to "be a man".

• Like 8

Guest 300ultramag.

i have not any guide friends. And being that I've taken most of my own animals on my own (solo) I agree with the ideals of being a purist and enjoying a hunt. I agree it's also not about bragging rights or antlers. I think it's about learning something on a hunt. Each hunt will teach you something different and learn yourself and reveal weakness/strengths about you. Ie. Your inability to pack electrolytes on an 8 day hunt in 95 temps. (Will leave you a little spacey) I have experienced all of the above each hunt is rewarding and fulfilling. I have been on one guided hunt and left camp early and hunted alone. In your case it wouldn't hurt to spend your dollars for 15 20+ years of experience. Either way enjoy the hunt and many great folks on here will help out I'm certain.

I too see to many people jumping on the guide wagon. If you're going to apply for the tag then try HUNTING people! Does it cross your mind that you can actually do it all by yourself? Guides are making it such a bad experience in the better units with their paying puppy dogs in tow. A lot of people who didn't earn it on their own are killing some of our best giant bulls. Its aggravating to see all the photos on the guide sites with the guides taking all the credit. Seeing fewer big bulls out there each year

DersertB Go hire a guide for your next Arizona elk tag Im sure you need one to have a decent hunting tale to tell

Im out

• Like 1