Sign in to follow this  
jonscaife

Left-over tag questions

Since I didn't pull a tag this year I am thinking of putting in for some of the left-overs. I got some questions though for anyone who knows or has any experience with getting left-over tags. First, the website says that they will start taking applications on by mail on April 20th, does this mean that they will throw away any that come earlier or will they put them in a pile and start opening them on the 20th? Second, does obtaining a left-over have any affect on ones bonus points? I poured over the regs and couldn't find any info on it so if you have the answers let me know! Thnx a ton friends!

And yes if it is there before the deadline it will not go into the pile to be picked. If youre in the valley send it friday and you'll be good. Odds of getting one are lower than the regular draw

A lot lower. Tens of thousands of unsuccessful applicants. Single digits worth of desirable tags.

I know it's a long shot but I got to at least give it a shot. The freezer is lookin pretty thin right now!

don't want to hijack the thread but can't find the 3800's in the booklet, does anybody what know? are those the hopi hunts?

• Like 1

don't want to hijack the thread but can't find the 3800's in the booklet, does anybody what know? are those the hopi hunts?

Yup, those are the Hopi hunts.

• Like 1

The book said the left over hopi hunts are open to anyone. whats the devil iin the details for these hunts?

If you draw one of the Hopi tags, its good for the whole unit, you don't have to stay on the res.

If you draw one of the Hopi tags, its good for the whole unit, you don't have to stay on the res.

I was under the assumption that these Hopi hunts are for the Hopi lands only. How can you get a Hopi tag and than go hunt another part of the unit off the Hopi? I think they call it the east and west sunset hunt. I can't find anything in the regs stating the boundary of the hunt. David

I was under the assumption that these Hopi hunts are for the Hopi lands only. How can you get a Hopi tag and than go hunt another part of the unit off the Hopi? I think they call it the east and west sunset hunt. I can't find anything in the regs stating the boundary of the hunt. David
It depends which leftover tag you get.

If you get the LO antlerless 5B North hunt, Oct 16-22, then you're limited to those boundaries. Grapevine, Twin Arrows, Diablo...etc

If you get the 4A archery bull Nov 6-19, then you're good to go for the entire unit.

If you get the 4A North LO Dec 11-31 anterless, then you're limited to the 4A North boundary.

Etc, etc......

Match the hunts to the regs, and read the notes and boundaries. It has nothing to do with hunting Hopi lands only.

Forlorn Hope is right...

The reason they are called hopi tags, specifically entire unit tags, is that they get a certain percentage of tags so we can hunt on their land. A lot of 4a is owned by the hopi's, its not reservation land but owned by them. In return for non natives to hunt it, AZGFD gives them a percentage of the over all tags. they dont take all of them so its a very good trade off.