Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

Unit 9 Cow I need your Honey Hole

No not really, I drew a late cow tag was thinking of a outfitter, being in the restaurant industry I have very little time to scout, and actually this is my first elk tag ever. I will get one vacation before the season. It seems to me scouting in May for a Dec hunt will not be very useful due to a totally different weather pattern that time of the year. I look and see a outfitter will be about 2 grand after tip and all. I know its just cow, and not mega bull, I guess my question is outfitter worth it for unit 9 or just do the solo. Now send me those GPS numbers for god sake.

• Like 2

I have been on this hunt for the last 8 years pray for snow, tracking them in it is like 100 percent success. I have a hunt again this year with 3 tags if you get good advice from fellow hunters you can do good but with limited knowledge of the unit you might struggle. Good luck on your hunt.

If you can hear the intercom at McDonalds drive thru, you are in a good spot.

dont forget to say 'local' before you pay!

If you can hear the intercom at McDonalds drive thru, you are in a good spot.

Have to agree with Pine Donkey. My profile picture was taken on the hill right behind the McDonalds in Tusayan a few years ago. ;) There's lots of area to cover and the elk can be pretty spread out. Have hunted it just about every other year for the past 10 years and have yet to see much snow. I didn't get drawn this year, but it seems to snow the years I'm not drawn. So, hopefully you'll get some this year.

If I decide to do the hotel thing for the winter hunt should I do Flagstaff, or go farther north, like I said I am going scouting next month don't know if it will be worth it other then getting out due to the different weather/thanks again all!!

If I decide to do the hotel thing for the winter hunt should I do Flagstaff, or go farther north, like I said I am going scouting next month don't know if it will be worth it other then getting out due to the different weather/thanks again all!!

Flagstaff is about an hour drive from the southern end of the unit and an hour and a half to the northern end. If you're doing a hotel, I'd stay in Tusayan unless you're going to hunt the far southern portion of the unit. If you plan on hunting more on the southern end of the unit, there's either the Grand Canyon in in Valle, which is near the southern portion of the unit, or Williams which is a half an hour south of Valle. Tusayan is probably your best bet overall if you're not sure where you want to hunt or if you want to hunt different areas.

AZHog,

Are you hunting in the Dec hunt or Oct? we've got four snow storms in the past eight years a couple were around a foot and one was I think 40-50 inches. and last year we had 1-2 inches opening morning and that was enough to get it done. some of these storms came after the weekend hunters had left.

AZHog,

Are you hunting in the Dec hunt or Oct? we've got four snow storms in the past eight years a couple were around a foot and one was I think 40-50 inches. and last year we had 1-2 inches opening morning and that was enough to get it done. some of these storms came after the weekend hunters had left.

Hi Seldom, Have actually hunted both over the past few years. Hunted Dec late cow last year and had rain while scouting the day before (we were low in the unit). Guess we should have gone to the higher elevation last year. 2012 I actually hunted the late rifle bull and didn't get any snow, but the cow hunt right after us did get a pretty good snow. In 2010 we hunted late rifle cow and I don't remember getting any snow. In 2008 we hunted late cow and we did get some snow that Sunday night as my friend got his cow and we were field dressing it in the snow. 2007 was Oct cow with no snow and 2006 was late cow without snow. I remember several years we didn't hunt and there being blizzards. Since we only had 2 wheel drive at the time, was somewhat glad we didn't get drawn. i remember the 40-50 inch blizzard and was really thankful we weren't up there that year. As a side note, since I'm not a very good hunter, I've hunted all 7 days on each of the hunts only getting a cow on the last morning in 2006. Been eating tag soup ever since. Overall, can't remember more than a couple of inches of snow on any given hunt, and that was only a couple of times if my fading memory is correct.