Sign in to follow this  
Titanium700

Leftover list is available.

I know there is a difference. I'm just saying it's the "Hopi" tag because if I just say "5A archery" some jackwad is going to "wait a minute! I applied for that tag in the regular draw and didn't get it." Happens every year. I won't be hunting anywhere near any Hopi land.

I know you get it, was mostly referring to some of the other comments in here. I guess there will always be something in the regs folks discover for the first time. Happens to me every year. Don't mind my sour grapes.

I'm not going to call. I'll just wait until I get my unopened, returned app in the mail. I always get them back on the Thursday of said week. Every time.

So, a couple more days of hope! Lol

post-8895-0-55139500-1429664157.jpg

I think my 5A general antlerless leftover tag (3810) is in late October. From what I gather so far, this is more than likely limited to the East/West Sunset area. Does any have any experience with this area and a idea of elk numbers at that time of the season? I assume the numbers are low since it is a limited opportunity hunt.

There is most definitely a difference between some of the Hopi hunts and the general hunts. As massamino points out, his tag is most likely restricted to East/West Sunset areas. It's not good for the whole unit, although some of the Hopi tags are. It's all about the hunt #, which isn't listed in the regs, but you can deduce which hunt is which when comparing dates, classification (i.e. limited opp or not), etc.

I had that East/West Sunset hunt about 4 years back, massamino. I saw 1 cow while scouting (2 days) and one on the hunt (6 days, I think). I also saw 2 bulls during the hunt - they were with the cow - one was a really nice 6x6 (found his previous year sheds the day before seeing him) and one had twisted, stunted antlers like an old bull, or maybe something wrong with him. My tag was "Any Elk" and I tried to get within range of the 6x6 right before the sun went down - I did, but I couldn't get a clean shot. Then several more days without seeing elk before heading home, whupped and one ruined tire later.

It's better to be hunting elk than not hunting elk, but I'm not sure those specific-area hunts really qualify as "hunting elk."

There is most definitely a difference between some of the Hopi hunts and the general hunts. As massamino points out, his tag is most likely restricted to East/West Sunset areas. It's not good for the whole unit, although some of the Hopi tags are. It's all about the hunt #, which isn't listed in the regs, but you can deduce which hunt is which when comparing dates, classification (i.e. limited opp or not), etc.

I had that East/West Sunset hunt about 4 years back, massamino. I saw 1 cow while scouting (2 days) and one on the hunt (6 days, I think). I also saw 2 bulls during the hunt - they were with the cow - one was a really nice 6x6 (found his previous year sheds the day before seeing him) and one had twisted, stunted antlers like an old bull, or maybe something wrong with him. My tag was "Any Elk" and I tried to get within range of the 6x6 right before the sun went down - I did, but I couldn't get a clean shot. Then several more days without seeing elk before heading home, whupped and one ruined tire later.

It's better to be hunting elk than not hunting elk, but I'm not sure those specific-area hunts really qualify as "hunting elk."

Of course there is a difference between a limited opp hunt and a general hunt. But the Hopi tag is no different than whatever limited opp or general hunt it corresponds with.

I've had the sunset pass tag before, it went fine. I killed by 8:00 AM opening day. I scouted half a day. I hunt the same areas for the limited opp hunt as I do for Nov bull.

Guest 300ultramag.

ive never been so excited to hunt an elk and its a stinkin cow tag! but im pumped.. too bad my buddy who drew w/me is already backing out of the hunt! its too far.. its just a cow tag.. its only archery.... wtf its an elk tag!!!!!!!!! cant wait

ive never been so excited to hunt an elk and its a stinkin cow tag! but im pumped.. too bad my buddy who drew w/me is already backing out of the hunt! its too far.. its just a cow tag.. its only archery.... wtf its an elk tag!!!!!!!!! cant wait

This is killing me. Here me and my buddies are without a tag, and your friend put in for a tag he doesn't want?

Oh the frustration....

• Like 2

Which hunt did you get?

Nothing wrong with cow tags. Our archery tags are either sex so I would be thrilled if my first bow kill, last year was first time archery hunting, was a cow elk. I had a chance but had a bull bugling and got greedy. Not going to happen again. First shot I get I am taking. Elk in the freezer beats tag soup.

Well, as I suspected. Received my returned app in the mail today. No luck again.

I'm now officially in deer mode! C'mon 13B! :)

We got (3) of the leftover 4A North Hopi tags for the December Hunt. This is my first Hopi Hunt, was hoping for some info. What is the best map for the Hopi land boundaries? The notes on the Elk Guidelines lists the entire 4A North boundary which I am assuming should be inaccurate for this hunt since it is Limited Opportunity Hopi Hunt. Does know of any other requirements before hunting on Hopi Lands? Thanks

Mike

......... The notes on the Elk Guidelines lists the entire 4A North boundary....

Mike

That's because it IS the entire 4A North boundary. The boundary notes are correct.

Good luck on your hunt!