Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Advice Needed on a Youth 20 Gauge Turkey Setup

I was able to free up my schedule for next weekend, so I am going to take my 10 year old son up to the youth turkey camp up by Big Lake. I have hunted most things Arizona has to offer, but this will be my first time with turkey. I have a few questions and need some advice on his set up to ensure him the best opportunity at bringing home a turkey.

Santa brought him a youth 20 gauge Remington 870 Express for Christmas last year and has gotten pretty good with it over the past few months. It comes standard with a modified choke. I am think I should probably get a super-full/turkey choke this week before the hunt and get it patterned. Does anyone have any choke and turkey ammo suggestions that they have used with success on a 20 gauge 870 Express? I know I should have started figuring all this out a long time ago, but this kind of snuck up on me.

Thanks

For the last few years I've had success from distances between 15 and 30 yds with my Mossberg 500 in 20 ga and I use #5 shot 3" loads with a ported extra full choke and it patterns great out to 40 yards. I would imagine an 870 20 ga won't be too much different.

• Like 2

We just went and let my daughter shoot her Rem 870 for her hunt next week. I have her set up with a Super Full Turkey choke and 3" #5 Turkey loads. If there is a Tom inside of 30 yards she is good to go.

She has been waiting for Friday for about 360 days

• Like 2

full or turkey choke and #2 #4 shot will do any turkey load. And a red dot scope

• Like 1

Federal heavyweight 1.5 ounce #6 in 20 gauge is good stuff. Dense pattern out to 40 with a full choke. Tungsten retains pellet energy very well.

• Like 2

Somebody on this site made this target available for all to download. Here it is again:

I know NOTHING about turkey hunting, but do you really aim for the head?

Somebody on this site made this target available for all to download. Here it is again:

I know NOTHING about turkey hunting, but do you really aim for the head?

No you aim for the neck just below the head. If you miss high you hit the head, if you miss low you hit where the neck joins the body. Either way you have a dead turkey on impact. If you aim for the body you will ruin your meat and most likely the bird will run and you will not find your dead turkey.

post-5325-0-39529700-1428942884_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Do not shot him in the body, or he'll shake it of , laugh at you and be on his Mary way.

• Like 1

Head/neck is definitely where you want to hit turkeys. They are tough birds. The hold on the target that Little Creek Calls posted is the proper aim point. Lead, I like #5 shot, Tungsten, #6 does the job well. I tend to be a tightwad but there really is no reason not to shoot the heavy shot. Other than patterning, we should only be shooting 1 round per hunt.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to go out tonight and pattern the shotgun with the choke and shells I picked up. I'll post up some pictures tonight.

Do not shot him in the body, or he'll shake it of , laugh at you and be on his Mary way.

My arrow bounced off a turkey once when I shot at the body...never used those broadheads again.

• Like 1

I bought exactly the same 870 youth for my boys and it has been a turkey slayer. I got it a little close to the first turkey hunt and all I could find was a full choke tube, but eventually put on a super full/turkey tube and shooting federal #5 shot turkey loads it has done a fantastic job. I don't think they've ever hit and lost a turkey with it.

Just make sure to remind your son to aim for the neck at the base of the head. Sometimes, when they get excited, they want to aim for the body. Best of luck to you. I'll be up there with 2 youth hunters this weekend as well. Shoot me a pm if you need ideas on places to go.

• Like 1