SunDevil

MX last weekend

Headed down to MX last Wed with some friends from UT. Got down there only to find out the tractor that is used to launch boats on the beach is inoperable. The owner had been working for 2 days on the transmission and needed another day to repair the drive shaft. Had to sit on shore on Thurs and enjoy the great weather while wishing we were out fishing.

Tractor was repaired late Thurs afternoon so it was game on for Friday.

On the water Friday am by 7:00. Great weather and good fishing. Kept about 24 with the largest being an 18 lb leopard grouper. Let lots of bonita go.

post-268-0-28673800-1428950219_thumb.jpg

On the water Sat by 7:30 but it was rocking. One of ey UT friends got sick. Stuck it out and finally at 4:00 I caught an 18 lb yellowtail. Headed in about 4:30 just as the weather was getting worse (probably should have headed in early). It was a little hairy getting the boat back on the trailer due to the wind and waves but third time was the charm and avoided beaching the boat or crashing into the trailer.

post-268-0-22595200-1428950229_thumb.jpg

Caught 9 different species in 2 days. Yellowtail, bonita, rock bass, pinto bass, leopard grouper, trigger fish, snapper, barracuda and sierra mackerel.

Had some awesome sierra mackerel fish burritos Sat night after this awesome sunset that the storm brewed up.

post-268-0-07716100-1428950238_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I will let you know tomorrow. Tonight we are having grilled grouper and yellowtail.

My favorite fish is 1) ahi (yellow/blue fin) tuna and 2a) alaskan halibut / 2b) ono (wahoo).

we caught a Sierra Mackerel on Saturday and cooked it up that night for fish tacos. It was very good and tasted very similar to trout. I have been told it does not freeze very well and needs to be consumed within a day or two of being caught.

Outstanding! Unfortunately as much as I love fishing... I am in the same boat as your friend from UT, I get sicker than a dog out on the water! No more fishing big water for this girl!!!

We were down this weekend fishing out of Cholla, kind of chunky for us as well Saturday morning. My buddy boating brother in law threw in the towell 10 miles out, and headed in... we ground it out, and went out 23 miles. I had one puker on board, but he stayed out of the way. Boated 5 leapard, all in the 18-20 lb range, lost one toad gulf that would have been in the 60-70 lb range, hook pulled half way up. Had another half dozen hits, but I think our baits were too large for the size fish we were encountering.

I wish we could have caught some of the bonita you were throwing back, we used everything but for bait, including an 18 " barracuda,,, they didnt seem too picky though.

Another week and a half and we'll be at it again. I love spring on the Sea of Cortez!

Jake, we were in Lobos.

Doug, I think generally speaking the bass is considered a better eating fish. It is definetly a milder fish but it is also more delicate which makes it tricky to cook on the grill. After heating up my grill I turned it off and sprayed it with Pam to help prevent sticking. I also used a spatula on the bass instead of tongs. The yellowtail is firm enough that you can cook it on the grill like a steak.

The other night the yellowtail was a little more popular but I think that is because I marinated the bass in a coconut/lime balsamic vinagrette. I think I will avoid that marinade in the future.

• Like 2

Man, you guys spoil me! I am heading to Rocky Point tomorrow, for two blessed days of SHORE fishing. Hoping for some corvina and flounder. Primary purpose for the trip is to catch some octopus for my classroom aquarium to support my invertebrate science lessons.

The reefs we fish are about 140 fett deep.

Check in the tide pools out in front of Sandy beach for octopus.

I will have to edit in a day or two to post pictures of the flounders I caught off the beach. I caught 9 flounder in just about 90 minutes of shore fishing. Their fillets completely filled a gallon-sized Zip Lock bag. I did get 3 small octopus from the coral reef I visit and a bunch of ghost shrimp and some other invertebrates for my class aquarium. It was a great trip! Going back in June for an entire week of shore fishing. The Malecon area was the "busiest" I have seen it in 5-6 years. It was packed with American visitors.

The picture shows the imprint of a standard 5-gallon bucket in the sand beneath the 2nd or 3rd fish from the left, just to give you an idea of the size of these fish.

post-4429-0-63825500-1429592640_thumb.jpg

post-4429-0-59310800-1429592665_thumb.jpg

• Like 4