Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Will the turkeys still be there?

my dad and I drew spring turkey tags this year in the unit we always archery elk hunt. Every year we've had elk tags there in September we've seen turkeys. The unit is 5B south. I've never been up there in the spring time. Will the turkeys still be in the area they are when we elk hunt there in September? Not sure how much turkeys migrate during the winter if at all?

Oh ya they'll be there and they'll be hot. Use a coyote locater before sun up

Likely they will be there. Start in areas you are familiar with, expand your search if necessary. Turkeys scratch for seed,acorns, etc. all winter. They'll switch to bugs (grasshoppers particularly) as soon as they are available. Caterpillars work too. You know the turkeys are on bugs when their dropping begin to look like tar. Find the bugs!

I have found in some units they are in different locations from spring to fall and some they are there year round depends from year to year ,if you have a youth hunt, the first general hunt or the 3rd hunt, 2nd general and how popular your area is can change things up,I think you can hunt 5BN as well there are a ton of birds in north this year I would look around there as well.

• Like 1

I have been scouting for the last 3 weekends getting ready for the jr hunt and I found that a lot of the areas that had birds last year showed no sign this year. I'm not a turkey expert, but I think they migrate to different areas. I have 4 groups located and I'm hoping they cooperate for my son Friday morning. David

They should be there. I've seen a flock of turkeys in the snow (got them on video) during the winter months in northern 6a and went back in May and they were still there :)

I was in NM this morning along with what seemed like hundreds of others and it was dead! Saw a group of 5 Jakes that were non responsive. Did not hear a gobble. Not sure if the people or weather have it different....

I was in NM this morning along with what seemed like hundreds of others and it was dead! Saw a group of 5 Jakes that were non responsive. Did not hear a gobble. Not sure if the people or weather have it different....

Oh man. I'm still 2 weeks out from my hunt. Hopefully they're talking again in 6A by then.

• Like 1

By the time Az hunters actually get to hunt turkeys - 90% of the hens will be nesting already -

Toms will still be active but not as much gobbling like what has been going on for almost 2-3 weeks now

that doesn't mean you won't get "lucky" but the big groups you've been seeing all summer are dispersed

finding and hunting roosts ups your chances of filling a tag

Don't worry about gobblin. Go have fun , they will be there They talk on and off .Sit tite and be patient if You are in an area that holds turkeys. Just call a little ocasionally.......BOB!