Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

Hunting with an order of protection - Questions/Thoughts needed

I wanna be on your side girl, but really....you put in for a bull tag to "just fill the fridge"....heck has no fury like a womens scorn.

I was thinking the same thing. Its her tag she can fill it as she sees fit, but its so much easier to draw a cow tag for meat, i cant imagine hanging a coveted hard to get bull tag on the first spike that meanders by. On day 10, spike down, on day 1-9 6x6 or nothing. And i'm a brown its down hunter about 98% of the time. Bull tags and antelope tags are exceptions.

I wanna be on your side girl, but really....you put in for a bull tag to "just fill the fridge"....heck has no fury like a womens scorn.

I was thinking the same thing. Its her tag she can fill it as she sees fit, but its so much easier to draw a cow tag for meat, i cant imagine hanging a coveted hard to get bull tag on the first spike that meanders by. On day 10, spike down, on day 1-9 6x6 or nothing. And i'm a brown its down hunter about 98% of the time. Bull tags and antelope tags are exceptions.

choice #1 6a early bull archery

choice #2 6a Mid october COW muzzle loader

The draw gods were good to me with 4 points. I was pretty darn sure i'd get drawn for the cow hunt - like pretty positive that is where my points were going.

My history with bulls.

Late rifle hunt about -6-7 years ago - no bull. Passed on two spikes and was going to take a 3x and my glove set off the trigger before I was ready. no bull. It was the year we were nailed with snow and it was a tough hunt. Hunted all 7 days.

Early archery hunt 3 years ago. Passed on many spikes (I didn't count, but drew on many of them). yep, I felt sorry for them as they just wanted back in the herd. I shot at a good 6x on day four or five & found out my arrow rest was broke when my arrow hit the dirt in front of the bull on a 20-yard shot (I slipped on a downed aspen earlier in that morning & didn't realize I had damaged my bow). I was also too inexperienced to know I could more aggressively approach bulls when they were busy doing other things like raking trees, etc., I lost some good opportunities because I was way too cautious . I then took a 30-yard shot on a very nice 6x on day #9 of the hunt and the arrow I thought was a good hit, but I looked for 9 hours and never found the bull.

I'm going hunting when the bulls will be bugling and that's a wonderful wonderful gift. I will shoot whatever bull crosses my path first. After I take it to Rhondas or Millers, I will head on down the road to fish, camp, or whatever it is I decide to do with the remaining time I have from my hunt.

I like my plan a lot.

PS - It's too late to change the hunting alone part. I like it, I love it, and I feel safer in the back country than I do in any city and that's a fact. Hunt #1 above I hunted in a pack. Hunt #2 all of my shot opportunities were when I was alone. I'll tag a bull and the goal is opening day.

Make sure you have plenty of help to pack out your animal.... That is the hardest part of hunting alone during the early archery hunts. You will most likely lose meat if you do not. As far as your draw odds, those 2 hunts have very close draw odds with 4 points. Both were around 21-24% on the actual odds last year.

Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1

Good luck on your own if you kill one. It might be 80 degrees hope your close to the road. Bulls are heavy, I've been on huntswhere it was 5 hours in and out to get quarters to the road.

• Like 1

Someone get G&F on speed dial for a wasting game meat. I'm 6'4" 220lb and a meat packing SOB. i would never dream of trying to get a bull out on my own in September. Joan of Arc over here plans to do it to prove a point?

• Like 4

Someone get G&F on speed dial for a wasting game meat. I'm 6'4" 220lb and a meat packing SOB. i would never dream of trying to get a bull out on my own in September. Joan of Arc over here plans to do it to prove a point?

I know who I'm putting on speed dial for the August deer hunt. Got plans, bud?

and im over forty and a premier member, just sayin

• Like 1

Well...I'm over 50 and I would be begging for help if I shot a bull...even a spike is a lot of work. But I'm only an advance member :(

Well...I'm over 50 and I would be begging for help if I shot a bull...even a spike is a lot of work. But I'm only an advance member :(
your to old and advanced member dont count. There is a very fine line for the "premier status" , time sir, has passed you by.

your to old and advanced member dont count. There is a very fine line for the "premier status" , time sir, has passed you by.

Well one thing is for sure. You don't know how to respect your elders you young whippersnapper. I believe children should be seen not heard even if they have a premier status

GreyGhost85,

I am 56 years old 6'3" 250 and have packed 3 bulls and a cow out in September by myself one in the Wilderness in 22 straight up straight down and a couple 3-4 miles

away from the truck and never had the meat spoil and I don't consider myself a SOB packing fool If you don't think you could do it on your own you might want to take a look in the Mirror. If you can't do this on your own you probably weren't taught how to do it right . I wasn't I had to learn on my own.

• Like 1

Naturegirl,

I don't know why you would want to kill a spike opening morning and then go fishing, forget the ex 6a is a giant unit go find your Honey hole you will never see him

stay away from his spots and go have fun explore the unit and enjoy your hunt.

• Like 2

GreyGhost85,

I am 56 years old 6'3" 250 and have packed 3 bulls and a cow out in September by myself one in the Wilderness in 22 straight up straight down and a couple 3-4 miles

away from the truck and never had the meat spoil and I don't consider myself a SOB packing fool If you don't think you could do it on your own you might want to take a look in the Mirror. If you can't do this on your own you probably weren't taught how to do it right.

I guess my response, and I'm not taking sides on this and I know you were talking to Ghost but, wouldn't it have been a lot easier with help. I have shot my share of elk as well and helped on hunts and I don't care what anyone says. It's a lot of work. I think the point of this is, Naturegirl I doubt is 6'3 and 250lbs. Don't know as I have never seen her. But the chances are if it's hot there is the possibility of the meat going bad without help especially if she runs into her ex and they have issues with the restraining order. jmo

GreyGhost85,

away from the truck and never had the meat spoil and I don't consider myself a SOB packing fool If you don't think you could do it on your own you might want to take a look in the Mirror. If you can't do this on your own you probably weren't taught how to do it right . I wasn't I had to learn on my own.[/quote)

I guess if she is 6'3" and 2fitty she should have it handled...... Thats a big women!!!!!