Sign in to follow this  
az-6.5-284

unit 10 early bull rifle tag soup???

Statistics would say yes, there are probably many. Now how many want to talk about it is a different story haha.

• Like 3

You already worried you might be one of them?

ya abit worried ,was lucky drew this tag ,I may not drawn same tag again for next 10-20 year

I will tell you that back in 2012 it was a much tougher hunt than what I was expecting. Temperatures were 10 - 15 degrees above normal and the moon was full. I filled my tag but I thought I would see more and bigger bulls than I did. In 2013 my buddy hunted unit 1 and it was a completely different experience (better). Good luck. If I had to do it again I would take the week off before the hunt just to scout.

• Like 1

I had a unit 1 early rifle bull tag in 96. First bull hunt ever. did it with just me and a buddy who knew no more than me at scoring. Terrible drought year, not many big bulls taken. on the second evening I shot a perfectly symetrical 6x6, 330" bull. As I learned more I wish i would a held out a little longer. 52 and 53" main beams, nice back 3 points ,the fronts were weak, only 12-13" descent mass average spread. I should be happy, most folk don't ever get one that big. But I had to have bigger. so I have waited 19 years to get this 10 tag. I have professional help this time as I don't have scouting time being in N. Dakota. And still a torn up shoulder. I want as big as I can get. Who knows ,it may not happen but my goal is to be there 4-5 days early and help scout. I can judge them well now, so I will know a shooter when we see him, if we do. I drew that 96 tag with only 3 points. So I paid my dues for this one. Goal of 370" ,if we can find bigger great. I hope there are some left. My helper says yes. I hope I'M not a few years to late.I will be 59 , 2 weeks before the hunt so I am gonna make this one of the funnest times of my life. First time I pressured myself. Wish Me well all. Good luck to the other tag holder as well...............BOB!

• Like 3

I (and three friends) had tags in this area last year late Sep/early Oct. One person was successful, but our lack of success was partly due to weather. It was hot when we go there and nothing was talking. This was followed by two days of torrential rain where the roads were washed out and then it finally got cool enough for the rut to kick off. If our hunt would have gone on for just one more day I'm sure we would have filled another tag because the rut was really going as we had to leave and we chased several good bulls prior to getting the one. Prior to the hunt we scouted on the Big Bo ranch and on the east side of the unit north of Williams. Espee road north of Williams all the way around to Ash Fork. After speaking with a few locals we decided to go with the Big Bo. Our belief was the fee to get on the ranch would keep competition down and that was true although the area is so immense and there were only 100 tags for our hunt. There were outfitters on the ranch, but few hunters and the area is so huge it's easy to get away from other hunters. Scouting is really just to get a feel for the roads, where to camp and where the water is. We came from Tucson so we had a long way to go to scout. Let me know if you have other specific questions.

10 is such a big area with lots of elk. I ate tag soup on a late bull hunt once in 10. You have a dream tag, relax and go scouting and have an awesome hunt.

• Like 1

In 1998 me, my dad and my uncle had 3 of the 10 tags on the early rifle bull hunt. My dad shot a 356" 6x6 and my uncle shot a 398" 6x6. I was the only one of the 10 tag holders to not fill my tag that hunt. I passed a few 350" bulls hunting a specific 400" plus bull. I didn't see nearly as many big Bulls as I thought I would. In my opinion the unit was a little overhyped. We did have well above average temps that hunt though. Very little rutting activity. We talked to one guy that shot a spike on the 2nd day. He said he put in for the hunt because it was close to home.

So let me get this straight, one guy killed a 398" and you were specifically targeting a 400+" bull and you follow that up with "overhyped"? That's interesting.

• Like 6

Sure do. 398" was the biggest bull killed in that unit that particular year. For a unit that everyone boasts about how many HUGE Bulls there are 398" being the biggest that unit produced isn't to impressive. I never laid eyes on the 400" bull I was looking for, only saw still camera pics and pics from a power parachute the week before the hunt. I was so hyped by other hunters that had supposedly hunted that unit in recent years and by outfitters that contacted us after the draw that I expected to see much better quality than what I did. Did I see every bull unit 10 had to offer that year, of course not. Did I expect to see more than 4 bulls over 350", sure did. Like I said it was a dry hot year and I'm sure that was a big contributing factor. Would I take a tag in that unit and give it another go, in a heartbeat. But to me, I feel the hunt was a bit overhyped. I was ok eating the tag. I could have shot....or at least shot at (haha) 2 bulls over 350" and chose not to, looking for something once in a lifetime.

• Like 1

I would think theres only a couple 400" bulls in the whole unit if any. Just My guess, and they didn't get that big by being dumb. I could see tag soup if your holding out. Iv'e done it before on trophy hunts. I don't know the unit thats why I got someone helpin Me that knows the unit and hope for the best. Am I holdin out ? Ya but the first 370ish bull I see is in trouble. 15-20 inches don't look all that much different. What are we talking 1-2" per point longer. Just lookin forward towards the hunt............BOB!

Leave the tape measure at home and your hunt enjoyment will go up exponentially.

• Like 8

Shoot the first one you can't resist. Have fun, you have a great tag..

For the record, 398" is a HUGE Bull no matter where you are. JMO

• Like 5

well, at least I got my laugh for the day from this thread.

6.5-284 - if you hunt hard and you end up eating tag soup, it will be after making multiple decisions not to squeeze the trigger - not due to lack of opportunity. Don't be like so many and think a 400" bull is around every corner. Most alleged 400" bulls turn out to be around 370" anyways when they are killed ;).

I archery hunted unit 10 the year sundevil hunted it and only 1 day was phenomenal, but the rest of the hunt was pretty darn fun. No lack of bulls to be found once the rut kicks in. Enjoy your hunt and follow Desertbull's advice. Good luck,

Wade

• Like 3