Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Great Time at Unit 1 Turkey Camp

Well, we just got back to the valley after a few days up at the Unit 1 Youth Turkey Camp. It was the first youth camp and the first turkey hunting experience for any of us (my buddy, myself, and our two ten year old sons). What a great experience it was! Youth Outdoors Unlimited puts on an amazing camp. Huge thanks to all involved. The four of us put in 3 hard days of hunting with waking up at 2:30 AM to head out and not getting to bed each night till close to 10:30 PM. There was rain, snow, sleet, lots of wind and cold weather, but the boys never gave up. Ultimately we came home empty handed. The boys had one shot opportunity on opening morning, but a little difficulty with the gun safety ended up in not getting a shot off before the birds bolted. We are filthy, exhausted, and were humbled by those birds. But we are already planning a little pay back come this time next year.

Again I want to thank all those involved in putting on this camp. The boys are already asking about all the other types of hunting camps to attend. If you haven’t yet been to one, be sure to put it on your list for the near future.

Opening morning snow made it cold and quieted down those gobblers!

post-6408-0-20580500-1429480472.jpg

The boys getting some coaching prior to an attempt at calling in a big tom about 100 yards away.

post-6408-0-63743800-1429480530_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Glad you guys had a good time! I love turkey hunting, and have yet to bag my first bird! lol

Also, yes the guys at Y.O.U. do a first rate job at running their Jr. camps! Good stuff!!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Fantastic! Looks like a great time.... Way to get those kids out in the field!!!

Sounds like a good time even though the weather was less than ideal. Way to get them out there and better luck next time.