Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

Turkeys and rain?

kazpilot25,

I don't know where you got this info might be true in some unit, unless you drew a tag in the unit you were told this, I wouldn't listen too whoever told you this.

Came straight from the wildlife manager in the unit. I talked to him this morning. Said they were all congregated in the southern portion of the unit. He said he's checked tanks over the past week in areas further north that usually have good populations and saw little to no sign. I talked to a couple guys who hunted the youth hunt that pretty much confirmed it. Not sure if it's weather or what, but it's happening.

pm me what unit if you want ,the wildlife manger here in flagstaff doesn't; know a whole lot he is really green the WM before him always ask me why I would call him he always said I knew more about all the units then he did they spend a lot of the time in the office trust me they are all the way up to 10,000 feet they have know idea what there talking about.

rain or snow? big deal. you have a tag, go huntin'. the one variable you can't control when you're hunting is weather. make the best of it, at least you ain't at work. and don't ever complain about anything wet in Az. we always need water. have fun, eat beans and spam, fart a lot and shoot some gobblers. show us the photos. Lark.

• Like 2

So how is everyone doing out there in the rain and wind? I'm anxiously waiting for success stories and pictures.

I went out scouting this morning with a friend that has a second season tag. We didn't hear any gobbling today. There was about 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground where we were at, and it was snowing all morning. I'm not sure if the snow coming down all morning kept them from gobbling, or we may not have been where they happened to be but thats unlikely. Sometimes they just don't cooperate. I'm not saying that the snow stopped them from gobbling i'm just unsure. I have a feeling that they will really be gobbling the next couple of days after this cold front that just went through if the wind stays down. Did anyone else hear any today in the rain and snow?

We had a hard time this weekend. Friday we had some good opportunities but couldn't capitalize, the turkeys were there though. Saturday and today they were silent. Couldn't get a single response. Our game plan was to sit some water we found Friday with tons of fresh turkey sign but with all the rain and snow we decided not to. So to answer my own question now the turkeys stay more quiet with rain and wind. We had a small window of opportunity in the mornings

I got one this morning in a snow storm. Most talkative bird I have ever herd on the roost. Didn't come in really hot, but he did come in. I'll post a story tomorrow. Tough, tough weekend of Turkey hunting!!!!

Here is one we got a hour after a 15 minute down pour on Friday.

post-3109-0-49963400-1430103690_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I got one this morning in a snow storm. Most talkative bird I have ever herd on the roost. Didn't come in really hot, but he did come in. I'll post a story tomorrow. Tough, tough weekend of Turkey hunting!!!!

Congrats Adam! Glad to see the wind didn't affect you too much.

My buddy and I had a text-book opening morning. We roosted two toms in the same tree Thursday night, along with a few more in the area. Friday morning we were set up at that spot. The two toms were going nuts. A few other toms were gobbling in the area as well. We had the two toms coming in, but still out of sight. Suddenly, another tom gobbled right behind us within 40 yards. I froze and waited a couple minutes for him to walk in, but my curiosity got the better of me. I turned my head slowly to look around the tree to see where he was. He was standing there at 30 yards...saw my movement and ran off doing the loud putt, putt, putt. Well, that silenced the other two toms. The next time they gobbled, they were a 1/4 mile down the canyon. Saturday morning, same area, we had a tom come in quartering to my buddy's right. I was facing the opposite direction. I had just finished some soft calling when I heard some putting behind me. I braced for his shot......nothing. Finally, out of my peripheral, I saw the tom walking away about 60 yards. I asked "why didn't you shoot him"? He said he was on the wrong side and he would have to switch gun hands for a left hand shot, and didn't want to make the movements. That was his call, but didn't work out. We had a narrow window of no rain that morning, and based on the weather forecast, we opted to pack up camp and head home. I may try again in a couple weeks.