COOSEFAN

They Won't Leave Me Alone!

The snakes suck! There are so many places I want to hike to, but I'm afraid to because of the snakes. I've been going out trying to find the deer to see if they've dropped yet and the glassing I've been doing is mainly for sheds. I'm not able to get high enough in the hills to have a good chance at finding anything anyways, but it's better than sittin' at home.........plus I can be in the hills 10 minutes from my house, so it's cheap and easy. JIM>

That is not fair Jim the closest I can go from my house to glass for deer and shed hunt is a 45 to 60 minute drive depending on traffice :angry:

You know what, I have hunted a bunch by the house over the years, I've killed two bucks and a Javi out of there and I know where there are a bunch of sheds out there, but I have never had a desire to get very serious about it....even though it's so close. I don't get that excited finding Muley sheds ( unless they're huge ) the terrain sucks to say the least....it's better suited for Sheep and the main reason..........THERE ISN'T ANY COUES DEER!

What you complainin' for Christian....YOU'VE got COUES DEER less than 1 hour from YOUR house! :angry:

I used to know where there were some nice coues an hour away from my house before the fire went through but now I can only find the floppy eared deer in there and some javelina. I am sure they will move back into the area and are probably in there now but I just can't find them right now!

Those aren't the Coues I was talkin' about.....head East! ;) They are a little easier to find over there.

OK I know the ones you are talking about now but those are just over an hour away :P

When do the dang things hole up for the winter?

I am trying to get cleared to put in for the Oct. deer hunts and I HATE rattlers! I have had a couple of close calls, one of which ended up with my Brittany Spaniel's head swelling up like a Saint Bernard. He was a hurting unit.

A friend of mine is a physical therapist. The damage a snake does is ugly. It just kills muscle so they fillet out the dead stuff. ew...

That is another reason I like December hunting......

I am trying to get cleared to put in for the Oct. deer hunts and I HATE rattlers! I have had a couple of close calls, one of which ended up with my Brittany Spaniel's head swelling up like a Saint Bernard. He was a hurting unit.

A friend of mine is a physical therapist. The damage a snake does is ugly. It just kills muscle so they fillet out the dead stuff. ew...

You might come upon some snakes on an October hunt. I seem to see the snakes start to disappear around the beggining of October but there are always some out year round. I have come across them while quail hunting in December and January but they are far and few between.

You might come upon some snakes on an October hunt. I seem to see the snakes start to disappear around the beggining of October but there are always some out year round. I have come across them while quail hunting in December and January but they are far and few between.

All depends on the weather. If its warm out they will probably still be out. Like younghunter I've been out quail hunting in Jan and seen them, they will be pretty slow though. I saw one out once, it was way cold but it was right after a rain so I'm sure it got washed out of its den. It was to cold move or even rattle. My dog ran by it no more then 2 feet away. You could have walk right over it and I don't think it would have done anything...... I still stayed at least 10 feet from it though. :D

The snakes add to the excitement, Jim What are you doing glassing in the desert in may when its 90 degrees ouitside? Its hot and all but why?

The snakes suck! There are so many places I want to hike to, but I'm afraid to because of the snakes. I've been going out trying to find the deer to see if they've dropped yet and the glassing I've been doing is mainly for sheds. I'm not able to get high enough in the hills to have a good chance at finding anything anyways, but it's better than sittin' at home.........plus I can be in the hills 10 minutes from my house, so it's cheap and easy. JIM>

Jim-

You live west side don't you?

I live 10 minutes from those same snake infested hills. :unsure:

Coosefan,

Ever see any sheep out there?

The snakes add to the excitement, Jim What are you doing glassing in the desert in may when its 90 degrees ouitside? Its hot and all but why?

Jim-

You live west side don't you?

I live 10 minutes from those same snake infested hills. :unsure:

Yeah I live on the south side of the mountains west of the city. I have not seen any Sheep, but I know they are in the mountains just west of me.....I've been out a couple times trying to find em', but no luck. That will be my next endeavor because those mountains are only about 25 minutes from the house! :P

Jim I wear snake gators when prospecting. When i use a detector i have on ear phones. They are a little warm, But when you get used to them they are not bad. I like them more than snake boots just because you can take them off at lunch or when you stop to glass. Most snake bites are from the knee down and on the top of the foot. So if you get gators then get the ones with the foot top protection. They also help protect you from the thorns down that low.

I killed one last summer, but only because he was gaurding the trail I had to use to get back & forth to my treestand. I figured that if I let him go, he'd just end up biting me later. Generally, though, I also leave 'em be. I did start carrying a snake bite kit with me though, having ran into several last summer. Have heard conflicting reports as to how well they work, but it still makes me feel better to have it & it only cost $12 at Wal-Mart.

I think the vast majority of snake bites are to people who screw with them, you know, get close for pictures, poke em with sticks and such. I've always let the ones that rattle go, and kill those that don't. I want to keep those rattling genes in the population.

Coosefan; I live somewhat close to you and been wanting to head out there and look for some sheep, maybe this fall or winter.

I think the vast majority of snake bites are to people who screw with them, you know, get close for pictures, poke em with sticks and such. I've always let the ones that rattle go, and kill those that don't. I want to keep those rattling genes in the population.

You are 100% correct.....most bites are to those idiots out there pokin' em and gettin' close for pic's! :lol: :P I'm proof of that and have a funny lookin' finger to show for it! I guarantee...if you guys saw the pic's before I cropped them and before I zoomed in with the camera you would see that I am actually at a safe distance when takin' pic's! Picking the suckers up is where they get ya......and I definitely DON'T do that anymore!!!

Coosefan; I live somewhat close to you and been wanting to head out there and look for some sheep, maybe this fall or winter.

I know they are somewhere close but I don't know really which mountains the Sheep are in. I have held the horns from a successful archery kill last year that came from somewhere close to my house.......that would be really cool to find an easy to get to spot to just run out and glass for Sheep, but I'm guessing there isn't anything "easy to get to"!!! JIM>

Coosefan,

Ever see any sheep out there?

No.....the mountains I'm usually in don't have Sheep.......I believe there were Sheep back when the Indians lived there.....that's the main critter that they carved on the rocks...along with snakes and lizards! I'll get pictures one of these days of the rock carvings.

I saw a statistic once that stated 90% of the women that get bit by rattlers get bit on the ankle; 90% of the men that get bit, get bit on the upper torso, face, and arms/hands.

We just gotta mess with 'em don't we?

Mike