Sign in to follow this  
GWHunter

New PSE Bow Decision Help

So.... I went to the PSE Proshop in Tucson and shot three different bows...

2015 PSE Premonition HD 70lb limbs (Smooth Draw, good valley, smooth release) I lived the idea of the short ATA for stand and blind mobility.
2015 PSE Source HD 70 lb limbs (Smoother draw, also good valley, same smooth release.) The longer Brace Height and longer ATA is a major plus.
2013 PSE Hammer 60 lb limbs. (Super smooth draw, but that may be because it was just set to 60 lbs, Same good valley and release) - basically same spec and performance as the source. Was a $750 bow in 2013, second fastest bow that year produced by PSE.

I sort of ruled out the Premonition, the other two bows have longer ATA which equates to easier draw cycle and less chance of CAM jumping and, longer Brace Height equating to more forgiving shoot cycle.

The other two bows are great bows with almost identical specs, the main difference is the EVO CAM on the Hammer and the HD CAM on the Source and about a $110 difference in price.

What a hard decision...

Any recommendations (WHY?) ?

11071952_1084371601580233_43299490083615

The Hammer was a renamed Evo 7. It's a great bow but the Evo cams are slightly harsher than the Drive-family cams. Basically, the Drive-type cams are like a single cam with matching eccentric shaped string tracks. The bottom cable track is a cam and the top cable track is round. This is supposed to give single-cam smoothness along with the increased speed, efficiency, and the level nock travel of a hybrid cam.

I've heard a few people say the Source HD can tune faster than a Decree HD, is just as smooth, and feels practically the same.

That said, I have seen Hammers go used for like $350 with new premium strings. At that price it's hard to beat.

Only you shooting them both can make that decision.

Only you shooting them both can make that decision.

He did shoot them. They're very similar and whatever is chosen will be a winner. They're both great bows.

Can't beat a former TOTL bow with a new-bow warranty for $450. I would get the Hammer even though I like the HD cams a little more.