Sign in to follow this  
GWHunter

New Bow decision for 2015 hunting season

Fellow archery hunters, I need your expertise.

So.... I went to the PSE Proshop in Tucson and shot three of their bows that fall in the $400-$700 range...

2015 PSE Premonition HD 70lb limbs (Smooth Draw, good valley, smooth release) I lived the idea of the short ATA for stand and blind mobility.
2015 PSE Source HD 70 lb limbs (Smoother draw, also good valley, same smooth release.) The longer Brace Height and longer ATA is a major plus.
2013 PSE Hammer 60 lb limbs. (Super smooth draw, but that may be because it was just set to 60 lbs, Same good valley and release) - basically same spec and performance as the source. Was a $750 bow in 2013, second fastest bow that year produced by PSE.

I sort of ruled out the Premonition, the other two bows have longer ATA which equates to easier draw cycle and less chance of CAM jumping and, longer Brace Height equating to more forgiving shoot cycle.

The other two bows are great bows with almost identical specs, the main difference is the EVO CAM on the Hammer and the HD CAM on the Source and about a $110 difference in price.

What a hard decision...

Any recommendations (WHY?) ?

Well, for me, I would go with the Source. You said they both have pretty much the same specs, so in my eyes, I would go with the newer of the 2. New bows and new technology are coming out every year, so for me, I would want the most up to date technology they have. Might not be the kind of answer you were looking for, but hope it helps. Can't go wrong with PSE. In the end it is your decision though. Go with what you feel is the absolute best for you. If the specs are both the same, maybe you like how one looks better than the other. I think these are the things your decision is gonna come down to. Now, if you were comparing the premonition to the source, I would probably go premonition, because of the shorter ATA for stand and blind hunting. That is just me though.

• Like 1

Shoot em both with your eyes closed. The one that feels the best is the one to buy! New bows shoot better than any person can, so the one that feels the best is the one you will enjoy shooting more which equals more time shooting which makes you a better shot and that is what matters most! Jmo.

• Like 2

Have you shot any other brands? I much prefer a few other brands over PSE. Less hand shock and smoother draw cycles can be had.

• Like 1